Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 decade ago

Do you speak this language?

I work in a nursing home, and this one disturbed resident keeps getting upset and muttering something that sounds like "ETT YODA"...sometimes like 5 times in a row. I think I could help to calm her down if I knew what she was saying. SHe's this really sweet old woman who really deserves the best care. Please help if you know what this means. Her last name is something like Guuttenburg (Sorry I had to change it a little for her sake) Thanks!!

• s
    Favorite Answer

Your loving kindness has inspired me to google this, even though I had no idea even what language it could be. My google search seemed to indicate Swedish, and so I found an online Swedish dictionary and played around with it...

I found that "ED" means vow or oath

and "jodå" means "yes, it is so!" (as in defending a point of view in protest)

So without having any idea of Swedish, I'm just taking this crazy wild guess... could it mean something like:

"Oh yes, I swear it is so!"

or "Oh yes, I swear it is!"

(in protest against what you might be saying to the contrary, or what she might be thinking is being said to the contrary... just like she is defending her position)

...?

Only two words? That's really a small sample. Do you have more vocabulary words? Can she speak an entire sentence? A larger sample of words might make it easier to pinpoint the language.

It sounds like she is an immigrant. Maybe a correct spelling of her name would help to pinpoint her nationality. Have you asked the other nurses? What about the head nurse? I would assume that she has been there the longest, and might know a little more about this lady.

You are doing God's work. Thank you for your compassion. She could be muttering anything; a friend or relatives name, her native tongue, who knows. Calming her down is the right thing to be doing, though.

ETT SODA= A SODA

She wants a soda.

Can't you check her records to find out her heritage?

I think she is saying "idiota". Spanish? Maybe Spanish for idiot.

She is saying " You are standing on my foot" In Swedish.

• dale

it means shuddering,or God is surrounded by a wall of fire