How come humans usually don't follow whatever they preach?

I mean this is pretty common with Humans . . They tend to preach a lot of stuff regarding any subject .. especially the ways of life ,

but, they won't follow most of them .Why is that so ?

• Best Answer

I think you're being too general with your statement. Personally, i see most people at least trying not to be hypocrites, but the truth is that humans are fallible, and what you WANT to see happen is not necessarily achievable.

So I see that most people do practice what they preach, and those who do not in the main do so because they are not perfect.

Should one cease to call for love for your fellow man because you became angry at someone who cut you off in traffic? I don't think so.

I don't think that's true. I don't hear that many people preaching, except on here, and that's different. As long as I can remember parents have been saying "Do as I say, not as I do." We know what's right, but we all make mistakes.

I do believe that most people do a pretty darned good job of trying and many actually succeed. Pretty good for a group of human beings, I think.

Why be negative?

I wouldn't say "usually". I usually make a point to actually follow what I preach(although I don't preach, I abhor it). I question myself a thousand times a day if I am actually doing what I beleive.

Humans make mistakes. We can't be perfect. We do end up being hypocritical at some point in our day to day life. Hopefully we recognize it and work on it. This isn't subjective to the religious and spiritual. It's everyone.

Source(s): tameran wiccan

When someone does not practice what he/she preaches, the preaching serves as a homeostatic control, which is employed to restore one's equilibrium.

The state of equilibrium is sought to relieve the tension of the 'preacher's' own cognitive dissonance.

In extreme cases of what you described, it is called "reaction formation" - a psychological defense mechanism. For example, one speaks out against gays but he/she is secretly gay. However, I think the reason is still the same ... to reach a state of equilibrium.

Source(s): BA in Psychology

Not for all. There are many who fervently follow the good they are spreading that they became powerful witnesses leading for the conversion of many.

Names like Elizabeth Elliot, Mahatma Gandhi, Mother Teresa and maybe even a neighbor.

Because most of us have that "it could never happen to me" way of thinking. I always insist that people wear their seat belts when they drive with me, and can honestly say that since I've gotten my car- I've never put it on myself. I just don't feel like it can happen to me, you know? But if it did happen to someone I love, I'd be crushed.

Hypocritical? Yes. Abnormal? Not so much.

• Ben

Because we are human.

We have the ability of reasoning.

Because we are being raised in a devil driven society that makes it harder for us and our children to control their actions that disobey God's teachings.

You are generalizing too much.

cause they're contradicting morons