Half-cocked gun safety?

Does the presence of a half-**** notch on a firearm provide an additional safety? why or why not?

Favorite Answer

many older guns the fingering pin was on the hammer, so you could go around with the hammer all teh way back, with the firing pin on the round, or in half ****,

the idea was that the pin would not get up to speed needed to fully fire the firearm

at least thats what I remember, but i did take some sleeping pills so i might have left some stuff out lol

Add also to that list

Beretta 92FS

Browning Hi Power

CZ75B

Plus a few more

All of these are modern firearms and none are percussion nor revolvers.

The halfcock feature is not a safety , but a fail safe.

This is evidenced by the fact DAs, such as the CZ, can still be fired from the halfcock position.

It is there to catch the hammer should it inadvertently fall, through mechanical failure or operator error

The only two pistols I know of that have a half-**** notch are the 1911s and SAA.

The only reason I heard of it is due to that you have to carry a 1911 with the hammer back. If the hammer slips, it'll catch in the half-cocked position provided the trigger isn't pulled while doing so.

• Bob

Ignoring the flintlocks as there's an extreme doubt that you're talking about them, off the top of my head the only mainstream pistol with the safety notch is the 1911, and not all of them have it. I know there are others but anyways.

It's designed to catch the hammer if you unintentionally drop it. If you're lowering the hammer and your thumb slips kind of thing (which is a bad idea to start) to keep the hammer from striking the pin. Some people carry a 1911 with the hammer sitting on the notch, also a bad idea. It's designed to catch a problem, not be a 'safety'.

• Mav

" Crazy Dan ", add another one to your list. I have a Tokarev T-54. It is an old commie pistol and the only safety it has is a half **** position. I think it's a great safety as you cannot fire the gun or move the slide when the half **** safety is engaged! :)

On rifles, that's often all the mechanical safety one reasonably needs (at least in most usual circumstances). In some handgun designs, walking around on half-c0ck with a round in battery is a good way to perforate something you don't want a hole in.

Yes. It's easier to explain if I was there with on open lockplate. But in modern times it mostly exists in reproduction flintlocks and percussion cap and ball firearms. Although I have seen it on some older lever action rifles.

In all cases, we are dealing with exposed hammers.

The half cok mechanism keeps the hammer from resting on the cartridge or cap. It also prevents you from pulling the trigger.

A trigger cannot be pulled when the hammer is in half cok position. Also, a gun dropped in half cok position will not go off as easily as one in full cok, and certanly not as easily as one whith its hammer resting on the primer/cap.

• Honest

There is an old saying: Don't go off half-cocked.

We wouldn't have it today if there wasn't angst.

sophisticated problem. browse in yahoo. that will could help!