HELP!!!! MY Dracaena IS ABOUT TO DIE!!!!?

My Dracaena Fragrans ‘Massangeana’ is about to die! It's the type which all leafs are green. A few weeks ago I trans-potted it and since then, it started losing all its leafs. I don't know if it's the new soil I used that doesn't agree with it (It's a rich soil made of compos & nutriments) , if it's because it's contaminated (although I used it for other plants as well, that mightn't be as fragile?). I thought it could also be due to the fact that it was really cold recently and I left the windows open in that time frame??

Now on top of that, it's starting to smell! Not bad but when you walk in the living room, you notice that it smells like.. I don't know, a sick plant!

I don't know what to do! This plant used to do that to me when I would move it around the house until I put it back to where it was. It's been in the same spot for two years so I don't see why it would do this or what I can do to save it!!!!!

PLEASE HELP ME!!! This plant was given to me 5 years ago and is about 15 years old! I don't want it to die!!!!

Thank you!

V..

Favorite Answer

Sounds like transplant shock from the description you gave. That and the exposure to cold air might be all that's going on with it. The fact that it smells tells me that there could be a problem with the soil being to wet and rot having set in as a result. If you want to try and save it I suggest protecting it from drafts and cutting back on the watering for a bit to see if that helps. Or, and this may be the only option left at this time, try to take a stem cutting and root that in damp sand, etc. Best of luck to you.

Source(s): 60 years combined experience in the nursery industry between my partner and myself.

overwatering and under watering will show up as the same symptoms leaves starting to die from the tips up. I agree that you need to allow the soil to dry before watering it again. If you have the pot set in a basket make sure that the plant is NOT sitting in water all the time. Because this causes root rot (i.e. dead leaves) also put the plant close to the window. Good luck