me asked in TravelUnited StatesLos Angeles · 1 decade ago

Is it too hot to visit Death Valley in August?

I am planning a trip to L.A. in August and have thought about a side trip to Death Valley. I know it can be very hot. I am wondering whether it would be too hot to make it worthwhile, especially if some places are closed. I have been to Joshua Tree and Borrego before so have experienced some deserts.

Here's another consideration - we thought of doing this as a 'side-trip' between L.A. and Sacramento - i.e. go through Death Valley on the way there or back. We had planned on one or two nights in Death Valley itself. It seems like that may be an awful lot of driving for a short trip. Any extra thoughts?

Favorite Answer

Hell no it's not "too hot" you can go thru Ridgecrest and hook into the valley from the west. Or enter from the I15 and after you go thru Badwater you can turn west and go up along the eastern sierra, you will have seen the lowest and highest places in the contiguous U.S. in the same day. Badwater to the peak of Mt Whitney. Make sure your in a really good car and like it hot, if you try running your a/c over the Panamit range you will kill your car.

No, I live near it. It can be hot, yes. But its the same as Joshua Tree.

And its a desert which means it gets very very cold at night. Can go below freezing even if it was 100 degrees (f) in the daytime.

Try it out, its beautiful out there. Bring lots of water and clothes for extreme hot and cold. :)

Average daily high temperature in Death Valley in August is 113. Record high is 134.

Yes, it will be too hot. Death Valley is incredibly beautiful and fascinating. . . when it's cool enough to be outside, Nov-April. Everyone I know who's gone in summer has a bad experience. Everyone I know who's gone in the winter absolutely loved it.

Yes it would be too hot in August. You wouldn't be able to get out of the car. It can be very dangerous too. What if your car has a problem with the heat and your cell phone won't work????? What would you do to get help?

And the surface of the ground can reach 201 deg F (that's 94 deg C!). I'd say that's too hot.