Shinigami asked in Science & MathematicsBotany · 1 decade ago

OK. Is the tree with the leaves that shake in the slightest breeze "trembling birch" or "trembling poplar"

• Dan S
    Favorite Answer

The tree you are probably alluding to is the trembling or quaking aspen. Latin name Populous tremuloides. There is also the European aspen Populous tremula, and the bigtooth aspen, Populous grandidentata. These aspens are members of the poplar family. The leaves have a flattened petiole, (=leaf stem)

which makes the sound when the wind moves the leaves.

Quaking aspen is the most commonly used name for that tree. Its scientific name is Populus tremuloides, which means it's a poplar (in the willow family). Birches, especially silver birch, also have white bark and leaves that shake easily in the breeze.

As long as people know what you're talking about, any common name is fine; I don't know what people where you live use for that tree, but it seems the consensus here is quaking aspen (and the closest to that of the two terms you present is trembling poplar).

Not sure about a poplar, but a White Birch has little spade shaped leaves that flutter in the slightest breeze. If the tree has white bark that is what I have always heard referred to as a White Birch.

It's Quaking Aspen.

Without seeing the tree I would say you are talking about a Poplar. However, many names are specific to a geographic region. It is possible you are talking about a birch.

• Jennie

Most people grow up with the bible and think teaching it to children is saving them. I have read the bible and its just something I can't believe. I study Buddhism because I feel its better for my soul. I don't think people should push their beliefs on young child because its kinda brainwashing. No, I don't believe sewer faeries. The bible attacks people fears of the unknown, thats why its been around for so long. The messages are mixed but if someone can find soul lessons in it then more power to them.

Quaking Aspen makes a shimmering sound when there's a breeze.

Yea, I would say Quaking Aspen, they are all around my house and in the woods. So pretty though, because of the white trunks.

quakeing Aspen. not sure on the spelling

quaking aspen