dale m asked in TravelUnited StatesChicago · 1 decade ago

Could someone give me info. on the suburbs of Chicago.?

I'm looking for the best of the Chicago suburbs to live in with a young family.

Favorite Answer

In all complete honesty, it depends on what kind of a surrounding you want you children to grow up in. If you want them to be surrounded by lots of people, most of whom they would have the chance on never meeting, I would suggest either a city in DeKalb County, LaSalle County, or Lee County. However, if you would rather a small town, i could truthfully suggest the villages of Shabbona or Waterman, IL. The population is no more than 1000 in Shabbona *pronounced Shab-ona, not Sha-bona*and no more than 1500 in Waterman, last I checked. Waterman is currently building up some houses in a subdivision on the outskirts of town, and so is Shabbona, but either way, both towns are full of people who, more often than not, know everyone else, either personally or through someone else. No matter which town you would choose, Shabbona and Waterman only have separate grade schools *K-5*. Once the children reach the 6th grade, the two towns join together into Indian Creek Schools, for middle school *6-8, in waterman*, and then for high school *9-12, in shabbona*. They're pleasant communities, with gas stations, restaurants, ice cream shops, and small town shops. Recommendation? Don't go to the grocery in Shabbona for meat products, from someone who grew up there.

My mom grew up in Lombard and had/has relatives/people she knows in Elmhurst (two suburbs). My high school band director also grew up in Lombard. Some of the lesser known suburbs will probably be cheaper for a young family than towns like Lincoln Way and Naperville. Good luck finding a nice place to live in the suburbs. They're a nice place to be.

• mikeae

For a young family, You would want South West Burbs or North Western Burbs. Specifically Western Springs in the Southwest, good schools, extreme shopping, plentiful public trans.

Northwest, I would say Arlington Heights or Prospect Heights. Schools can leave a bit to be desired, however shopping is wonderful, city services are truly awesome, Plentiful Public Trans, and activites such as Ravenna, Local Village festivals, Theather.

Depends on your price range and where you're going to work. Stay west or north, and you should be fine. I live in the North Shore surburban area, which includes Evanston, Highland Park and Lake Forest. Great area, if you want to visit the lake often. But the western suburbs are good, too -- just a little hotter in the summer and colder in the winter.

I live in the Northwest burbs of Chicago and the following towns I can highly recommend:

Barrington - Pricey but fantastic schools and homes

Schaumburg-larger town and vast array of education, restaurants and home developments

Bartlett- mid-sized town, larger homes and great school system

Crystal Lake- for north about an hour but they have the Metra train that stops there from Chicago. Great schools, smaller town charm with all of the larger chain shops and restaurants.

• Naperville, Plainfield, Oswego

As long as you make a good amount of money then the Northwest Suburbs, or any where in cook or lake counties.

I live in Berwyn, IL., and it's a good place to raise a family. Other good places are, Hoffman Estates, Mount Prospect, Lincolnwood, Tinley Park.

Southwest or northwest burbs are the lower in crime as well as better schools. Also just north of the border in Wisconsin has a lot of really nice areas as well.

My husband grew up in Glyn Ellen. If i could move anywhere to raise my children it would be there. The schools are wonderful and the people are so great! They are so family oriented that you cant help but to be touched with hospitality.