Why do Canadians say "eh?" after every question?

Could someone explain to me where does it come from?

Favorite Answer

It's not as common as some people think, but I have run into some Canadians who do use "eh" on occasion. I think it's more in the east of the country; I hear it more in Ottawa than in Vancouver.

Anyway, I take it as a shorthand way of turning a statement into a question. One might say "It's hot today, isn't it?" or "That was a bit harsh, wouldn't you say ol' boy?" I like the poster who used the French equivalent. In the states, I hear people use "huh" in the exact same way.

• Mavis4 years agoReport

We say A ...because we have Export A....Craven A....and DuMaurier....ha...ha.

We don't just say it after questions (nor every question). It's just a tag-on thing like when Americans say "huh?" or Aussies say "D'ya reckon?"

Eh has loads of meanings. Go to onelook.com and do a search, eh.

Gotta go, eh. The game's on, eh. And I gotta go pick up a two four and some smokes. Beauty, eh.

Er, not all Canadians do that. It's just a common stereotype. I'm Canadian, and I only say it once in a blue moon, or sometimes to confirm the stereotype to my American friends.

I know a few Canadians who say eh, and they're French Canadian, so perhaps that could be why.

eh is another way of adding a symbolic verbal question mark. just saying "he's not dating her" could mean something else when heard in person such as a statement and they wouldn't know if they were asking a question or not. saying "he's not dating her, eh?" puts an emphasize on the meaning of his statement which in this case is a question because of the use of eh. something only Canadians will understand........ eh?

First of all I'm a Canadian and I say it all of the time and so does everyone I know. I live in Ontario and maybe its less popular in the other provinces but even if you say it once in a blue moon your just proving it is not a harsh stereotype. To answer your question we use it after a statement if we want a response from the person we are talking to. It's basically the equivalent of 'huh?' or 'you know'.

Actually, we don't. Not aver EVERY question, or statement. Its like saying that ALL Americans say "huh" after every question or statement. Americans don't do that anymore than Canadians do. Its an urban myth!

I do it on purpose sometimes just to tick Americans off...... but other than that, Im harmless

• bae5 years agoReport

we don't i live in the capital city Edmonton and i never hear eh

I'm Canadian, and I don't say "eh". Not every Canadian does. Actually in the western Canada, not many people do say "eh". Don't believe every stereotype you hear. :)

Source(s): Canada.Born and raised.
    • Noah5 years agoReport

Thank you!!!! At least someone gets it! I say it sometimes though lol

• Judean

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/C5uaA

No. None of my Canadian friends ever say that. It's a comedy stereotype. Have you ever heard William Shatner or Celine Dion say it? Do all Americans walk around in cowboy boots and spurs and say Yehaaa every 5 minutes?

Actually, I'm from the U.P. (Northern Michigan) and we are known for using it all the time also. I never realized it until just a few years ago when someone pointed it out to me (I live in lower Michigan now). I just leave it alone as I kind of like the word. I never try to NOT say it, I just do "me" and it's always worked out quite well.

Canadians say "eh" because of the way Canada is spelled: C eh n eh d eh.

• Jay3 years agoReport

Really funny havn t heard that joke before. ******* kill yourself