Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelAsia PacificJapan · 1 decade ago

How can I live and work in Japan without teaching English?

I am a Canadian citizen and dream of living in Japan but I DO NOT WANT TO BE AN ENGLISH TEACHER like everyone else does. Please help me. How do I get a VISA without an arranged marriage?

Favorite Answer

You got the wrong idea that everyone ends up teaching English I guess, but I don't say it is not very helpful,, not all ends up teaching English anyways but it might be your first steps until you find the job that you really wants..

As many companies are using the advance technologies, most of the computers are in Kanji and you might get first Japanese language background like reading or writing.. while teaching and then move on to next steps on job hunting..

If you know any Japanese companies in your area, you might try to inquire how to get jobs there or inquire the Japanese Embassy how to get visa for applying a job.

Most are doing two jobs so they could have extra income instead of being stuck in teaching. IMany who have talent goes into entertainment world..

Jobs Resources for Japan

1-STOP Overseas Employment Online - 1-STOP Overseas Employment Online - Overseas - Overseas - Jobs - Employment. Work and live in any country

4International Careers & Jobs - 4International Careers & Jobs - Japanese section of a world-wide directory of quality job sites and career resources and a free starting point for international job seekers, employers and recruiters. 4icj.com covers 190 countries and includes more than 1000 selected job sites and career resources classified according to 18 categories.

.

ACCESS Technology - ACCESS Technology - Japans leading IT recruitment and consultancy firm for Japanese IT professionals for placements in foreign IT companies in Japan.

Acting jobs in Tokyo - Acting jobs in Tokyo - This guide is for anyone really serious about earning good money as an actor in Tokyo. I have included all the information you need to get out there and working - today.

AEC Japan - AEC Japan - AEC Japan helps place qualified professionals into high paying jobs with Fortune 500 companies in Tokyo.

Resume database in the world which focuses on Technology professionals in Asia. Services are FREE to both job candidates and companies..

Cannon Persona International Recruitment - Cannon Persona International Recruitment - Recruitment Specialists for UK, Europe and Japan.

CareerCross Japan - CareerCross Japan - A bilingual recruitment resource concentrating on the Japan market. Job boards, resume banks, automatic email notifaction, job hunting tips, living in Japan advice and much more.

Computing Japan Home page - Computing Japan Home page - Computing Japan is an online magazine that includes job listings.

HERE IS AN EXAMPLE OF JOB LIST IN JAPAN

Our Jobs

Job Title Electronic Circuit Design Engineer

Sector Manufacturing

Location Hiroshima, Japan

Salary Negotiable + benefits

English Level Mother Tongue

Japanese Level Intermediate

Requirement To liaise with international clients regarding design and development for products including high frequency plasma generators, digital RF power tracers, wafer carrier distortion testers. Based in the design department of this growing Japanese company. Previous similar experience and ability to communicate in Japanese required.

Apply to ian@pasona-eu.com

Ref 0402-51

I have met many Engineers when I was there and they have a companies around the world and salary is really really good, they don't even understand much Japanese..so I think you could find the one

good day!

First off a working holiday visa limits your working hours to ONLY 12 hours per week. You cannot change your work holiday visa to a working visa without a university degree and your employer cannot do it for you either. I mean it is impossible to get a change in your visa status without a university degree. You might find a position with a smaller eikaiwa where they are willing to let you to work more than your visa allows but this would really be putting their butt on the line for you. It's best to know someone that is willing to take this chance. The only way to get a work visa without a degree is to marry a Japanese national. Even if you do this you'll always be a second choice to a candidate with a university degree.Your teaching experience and TEFL certifications might help you some but it might hurt you too. People with experience and certifications usually want more money and that is something Japanese companies are not often willing to do considering the amount of fresh blood they can bring in every year which will take whatever offer is on the table. Your best chance to get a job teaching English in Japan is to wait until you are in country. Many schools won't even look at you if you cannot come in for an interview. Go ot one of the big cities like Tokyo, Osaka or Nagoya and start applying at every school you come across. Apply at the big ones and the small ones too. In the case of bigger schools, make yourself open to living wherever the school needs a teacher. This might put you in some backwater small town but you'll have a job at least. Do NOT apply online. The degree situation will kill you before they look any farther. Your best chance is to apply in person. Wearing a suit and having a clean shave should go without saying. Many schools don't require you to wear a suit in the classroom but a good impression up front just might put you over the top. Look, I'm sorry if I came across strongly up front but I've been in the industry ever since I moved to Japan nearly a decade ago. Owning an Eikaiwa for the last five years has taught me much more about the industry than my time as a teacher ever did. I have had employees come over to work for my school in the exact same situation you have described and I was really in a tight spot because of this. I had to let them go because they couldn't work the hours I needed them to work. I hated having to do that but I have to take care of my business first and I can always find another teacher. If that sounds cold, it is because business has to come first. I wish you good luck in finding a job here and I hope you get to enjoy Japan.

Lots of good answers above.

Teaching English is a hard way to make a living in Japan. If you don't want to do that, you most definitely need to be fluent in Japanese--both reading and writing. There is a demand for bilingual IT workers. My Japanese is good enough to get around Japan, but not good enough for the IT industry.

The Financial sector is always looking for folks as well.

Bottom line: Read and write Japanese, marketable skill, and then seek out all the headhunters (recruiters) you can find.

Provided that you are female, you could work as a hostess in a hostess bar. A hostess is a woman who works at a bar and acts as an adoring date to the clientele; smiles cheerfully, lights his cigarettes, laughs at his jokes, acts interested in him; nothing "naughty" necessarily. Check out this website below. The author has written about the hostess job and how it can lead to building a network which is important if you are looking into "non-traditional jobs" for the westerner in Japan (i.e. not teaching ESL). Such connections can be important in terms of who you know when (e.g.) you need your visa renewed.

By learning Japanese, and learning a useful skill. Even then, it will be hard. The Japanese gov't issues about 10,000 work visas each year, and the majority are given to Chinese/Korean employees of Japanese companies, or work for the Japanese branch of a foreign company.

But I agree, there is nothing more pathetic than a foreign english teacher.

If you wish to support your child learn to see effortlessly, not with TV and films, computer programs and apps, as well as the school program is the solution, the program, Children Learning Reading, from here https://tr.im/nR56U is.

For a kid to effectively understand and grasp reading abilities they want regular attention in one or both parents. With this at heart, however, the instructions are kept short from 5 to quarter-hour a day.

With Children Learning Reading system you may also construct and improve your connection with your child not just how to learn effectively.

I guess there are some job hunting website in English, aren't there?

Check them out.

Also check following sites.

Some of my friends went their on restaurant working visas. you also get visas for working in pubs, bars, and discos.

Source(s): eblue

Hahaha.. maybe u can do something else then? In the IT department... its big there...