what do you need to connect your generator to the power grid?

if I have a small water powered generator and its not enough to supply my house during the somedays but more than enough others, how can I connect to the power grid so my meter would turn backwards when power is going out and fowards when Im using more power than I'm making.

Best Answer

You need a reversible meter for the easy part. Disconnects for safety are also easy. The difficult part is the controller to make sure your power is in phase with and stays in phase with the grid power. If it isn't in phase it is just a large load to the grid and things will fry very quickly.

theoretically speaking, you would be needing a reversible meter, a disconnect switch, a circuit breaker, a synchro switch to synchronize your generated voltage with that of the grid, many relays to protect your generator from powerline disturbances like short circuit current and meters to monitor the quality of power that your generator is producing.

All this and many others just connect to the grid when you have spare power, is not practical. the operating cost is way to high as compared to the "savings" (assuming this is possible) that you would get.

You have to talk to your electricity supplier whether they actually do buy back power generated by you. Don't put your hopes too high, from State to State (Province to Province in Canada), they have different "policies". Some won't bother if your production is not in the > 100kWatt range, some don't do it at all.

But before you call them make sure your installation is correct and legal, like you should already have a UL or CSA approved changeover switch installed (to avoid a line worker getting killed)...

But since you say "...some days not enough to supply my house..." why don't you install a battery bank for your own use?

Sure, you would need rectifiers, charge controller, and inverter = money...!

Check with the power company. They will need to install the reversible meter, and appropriate disconnects to take your generator offline if they need to work on the power line.

i don't think it would be of practical value that excess power being generated by your small generator that your local electric company would be interested to be connected to their grid it will be just a burden for them to do so why not ask any of the neighborhood if they are interested with your idea.