Goldenrain asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

To remove shedding hair on a labrador what type of brush, comb, or grooming tool should I use?

Does a wire brush work to do this? I tried a straight, plastic bristle brush and this did not work.

Favorite Answer

The Furminator tool really is the best thing for labs to get the undercoat out. You should also finish up with a 'zoom groom', if you can't find one ask your pet shop for a rubber curry brush. It should have soft dull rubber 'bristles', and it's great for catching the loose hairs in the topcoat. Regular bathing also reduces shedding.

Also ask your vet, shedding can indicate stress or poor diet.

Source(s): Professional groomer

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): remove shedding hair labrador type brush comb grooming tool use: https://shortly.im/312nG
  • Ann

I use a shedding blade. Get the horse one at a big box pet store, it's cheaper. Get a Furminator knock-off about $9.99. You can also use the bottom blade of an old electric clipper instead which is just the same thing. I like the rubber Zoom Groom thing too. Take them outside and keep brushing. Those little puffies are driving me nuts!

• Erika

Best Dog Brush For Labs

A good bath, and a brush out with a "Shedding Tool" will do the trick. It is metal and has little teeth that get the hair out of short coated dogs. Get them in any pet supply store.

Yes wire brushes remove shedding hair. Labs are notorious for shedding because of their double coat. You may even consider having him groomed by a professional groomer about once a month because they have the utinsils for removing alot of the undercoat that labs have.

Our lab loves the vacuum cleaner. We just hook up the attachments and vacuum the loose hair right off! You've never seen a happier lab.

Other than that we've found the rubber brushes/glove brushes work very well. We brush our lab outside (when we don't vacuum) and the little birds use the hair in their nests.

i have many combs...the one that i mostly use to get rid of shedding is a comb called a shedding blade

I have a Lab too, His shedding was driving me crazy.....I stopped giving him table scraps and watched how much protien he was getting in his dog food (No more than 20%) It will tell on the bag....Long story made short, He don't shed anymore...YAHOO!!! Labs can't handle much Protien.....

Source(s): My Vet......Thanks Doc

Get a "shedding blade" from a horse-supply place.