Help! I'm trying to start my own "worm farm" to make composted soil but when I took the lid off the bucket I

but when I took the lid off the bucket I noticed fruitflies and MOULD and the soil was really really getting wet. Will this hurt the red wigglers and if I take the lid off will they ESCAPE? Should I just leave them to do their thing? Should I cover the pail with dark cloth instead?

Do the worms create more moisture? ( the initial soil I used was a little damp) and how often should I split the worm population?

Favorite Answer

You need to look up raising worms. I always thought that you used a two layer. screen bottomed box that the air can get it.. and put shredded paper in it with a little soil. drop you compost from the kitchen in it for them to eat.. if they get to wet they will die and rot. that is where you fruitflies are coming from i would imagine.. the fresh droppings from the worms will go down in to the second tray and drop through into a box underneath. you will have to keep giving them fresh shredded paper and keep them supplied in compost.. to make this work. do not put meat in with it.

Your trays should have a lid to keep the worms in. if the paper drys out get a spray bottle and keep it a little bit damp..

you should have very good compost coming up soon but get them out of that wet bucket or you will lose them all..

just my opinion ..

search the web for raising red worms.

didn't you get instructions when you got them..?

this is what i would do anyway.. always wanted my own compost makers.

let me know how it works for you?

Source(s): sandy

It definitely sounds too damp! Are you putting food scraps in? If so, I think you don't have enough worms for the amount of food scraps you're trying to process. You should have 1-2 pounds of worms per pound of daily food scraps. You can cover the food scraps with a 2 - 3" layer of damp shredded paper. This will deter insects in the bin, and provide carbon to help the nirogeneous waste (scraps) break down.

an particularly stable question youthful guy, a condom is a factor of the male genitalia it is going to start up growing to be as quickly as the penis is completely formed, It varies from person to person however the traditional selection is 15-18 reckoning on your genes your condom would be a various colour (*the main common being brown*) it is going to absorb to a month to variety as quickly because it rather is carried out you're waiting for intercourse. *extra counsel* - in the journey that your do not see the beginning up of a condom growing to be as quickly as your 18 you're transforming into genetic ailment wherein the condom does not variety needless to say, there is an operation which will nicely be preformed wherein the plaster a man made condom excessive of your penis (*you will might desire to get is replaced as quickly as a month*). - it fairly is not uncommon that an infection might ensue on a similar time as the condom is growing to be, if this happens touch a doctor at modern-day in the previous irreversible harm is carried out. i'm hoping you come across this little article useful :)

Get the book "Worms Eat My Garbage" from the library.

It's easy to read, and has EVERYTHING you need to know about having worms.