Could you recommend a good "greatest hits" type album of some soft jazz? Not the free-form stuff, very mellow

Honestly I'm more interested in something old rather than new, but I don't have a clue where to start as far as artists. I thought perhaps some sort of compilation album would be a good place to start and find out which particular artists I like but if you have a specific artist you like please feel free to let me know. I'm looking for something very easy listening, with nice flow, nothing to free form or disruptive. Music you can relax to. Thanks.

• Teaim
    Best Answer

Dexter Gordon's album Ballads...

is a collection of ballads, of course. Just the tone of Dexter's tenor sax is amazing. Some mellow albums are a bit dull, but Ballads is mellow an interesting.This is the best mellow album I've ever heard.

I know you were asking to find various artists so that you could choose. Dexter Gordon is a legend in jazz. Eventually your gonna be into Dexter, I'm just saving you some time.

PS-I think the other answers you've received are really good suggestions also (Kind of Blue, Diana Krall, Billie Holiday-especially 1930's, Madeline Peroux. Also check out Ben Webster, Stan Getz, Bill Evans.

Great vocal jazz compilations, both of which will introduce you to a lot of the greatest singers singing some of the classic tunes:

Night and Day: The Cole Porter Songbook

'S Wonderful: The Gershwin Songbook

If you want just a single cd overview of big bands, try "Woody's Winners: 20 Classic Tracks from the Films of Woody Allen." Love or hate his films and personal lifestyle choices, the man knows jazz. Nothing disruptive about any of these tracks.

"The Best of Ken Burns Jazz" -- Whittles down a 5-cd box set of songs from a 20-hour documentary. Mostly big band, only a few tracks of bebop.

Happy exploring!

you might wanna go to a used cd store and look for a compilation album from Windham Hill. that's the name of the label and they usually put out various artists albums quite frequently. These are more instrumental than vocal. closest thing I can compare it to would be waiting room/elevator music. kind of nice and real mellow and chill. I'm sure your used cd store will have tons of them and you can listen to them and see if that's your cup of tea or not.

Anything by Billie Holiday! Very smooth and soothing! Or even try Madeline Peroux. I swear that she's Billie Holiday reincarnated! I listen to these artists when I go to sleep!!!

Vince Guaraldi's Greatest hits is pretty cool, but i'm not sure if you want romantic music or just soft jazz. Also there is Ella and Louis for Lovers.

TRY

ray charles

loui armstrong

michael buble

dean martin

Lazarus.

• eggman

Miles Davis - "Kind of Blue"

A Masterpiece! I think this is precisely what you are seeking.

kem, diana krall, and donny osmond (no kidding)