Gas powered generator power into a power grid?

Can you hook up a gas generator, whether it's 110 or 220 volts to a live circuit in a home and use that power until it generates enough to put back into the grid? Another way to aproach the question is does the transformer work in reverse or will the AC 220 from the power co. burn out the generator?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

It doesn't sound like a good idea. If the voltage of the utility exceed the voltage of the alternator, your alternator becomes a motor, and all hell could break loose. Systems that feed electricity into the grid start with DC from solar panels or wind turbines and convert it to 60 Hz AC by means of an inverter which synchronizes frequency and phase to the power grid.

With a gas driven alternator, the best way to go is to have a manual or automatic transfer switch which switches the load (your house) from the utility mains to the alternator when there is a power failure.

• 1 decade ago

if you can induce enough power into the circuit it will flow back into the grid. It is not likely that a generator can return enough power to begin sending power into the grid. Also, gas is likely more expensive than the electricity which means you will incur a loss even if you do manage to send power into the grid.

The only successful method I have heard of is to use solar panels, commonly mounted on a roof which are wired into the home. This is called NET METERING. During periods of low power usage electricity flows back into the grid reversing the spin of the dials or readout on you electricity meter. This is of course dependent on the presence of sunlight so an area of the country that receives less sun during the year may show little yield. This process is also governed by the electricity companies and state regulations.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

There is a way to hook up to the power grid. In fact the electric company will pay you for any electricity you can send them. The switching gear is fairly expensive, it probably would not have any kind of a payback that can be realized - maybe 25 years - just a guess.

• 1 decade ago

if i canput it in a easy language it is like this

the current from a generator is AC i.e. it is in a alternating cycle of +ive and -ive

when you are trying to attach two generators in parallel two conditions must be fulfilled

1st the currents generated from both should be of same frequency

2nd the currents should be in the same phase or cycle stage

otherwise say one current is in -ive cycle and the other in +ive then there will be a short circuit kind of a situation which can be very dangerous

It is a very costly affair to bring the two generators in sync

so please avoid such mis adventure

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

You'll need something that costs around $1000, I forget the name but it would probably cost more to implement than savings.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.