B. asked in Home & GardenCleaning & Laundry · 1 decade ago

cleaning marble countertops without leaving spots...?

OK. Someone out there has got to have a secret to keeping marble countertops looking nice and clean. I'm cleaning someone's house and they have them in the bathroom and I guess since marble is very poreous anything that sits on it creates a water spot of sorts?! Solutions anybody??

Favorite Answer

Make sure the marble has been sealed recently. Also, never use any kind of soap or cleaning product. Warm water only. After wiping the counter off, use a dry cloth to get the water up. Also, might check to see how hard the water is. Mineral deposits are hard to get off and easy to get on. They may need a water softener. If you see mineral deposits on the sink drain, it's a good sign that the water is hard. Avoid using products like CLR to remove the deposits, it may ruin the marble.

• Special care shoud be taken with marble because the surface is porous. Clean with bi carb and 1 part vinegar to 5 parts water.Never put full strength vinegar on marble because it could react with the lime and eat into the marble.Always rinse thouroghly afterwards with a cloth that has been wrung out in water. If the surface isnt sealed with polyurethane or another sealant,use a good quality laundry waxfor marble flooring to make it less porous and less likely to absorb stains. The way to tell if the marble is covered in polyurethane is to put your eye level with the marble surface and shine a light along the top. If the light shines in one uninterrupted beam,its sealed with polyurethane. If the beam of light has lines and dots,its unsealed.

Source(s): Speed Cleaning

They sell special marble cleaner at Lowes and Home Depot. It has a pink and white label, but I can't remember the name of it. It helps to seal the marble too so that it is more resistant to stains and water spots.

I use a Mild Glass Cleaner on a Lint Free Cloth-then Finish off with a Paper Kitchen Roll(Always comes up like a Showroom Finish when I'm Done!!)

For general cleanning and shine nothing beats a damp micro fiber cloth. For stains my reference book suggests 1T cornstarch and 1t 3% hydrogen peroxide. Mix into a paste right in the tablespoon. Spread on the stain and let dry for an hour or two. Wash with clear water. Hope this helps.

Source(s): Rodale's Book of Practical Formulas

Mineral spirits should do the trick. You can get it at your local drug store.

I would probably suggest just a dry cloth.

bleach