If you entered a book store looking for 'Humour' books, would you browse by Author/Title or Genre?

Best Answer

I would just stand in the aisle for a while, then head in the direction of people laughing. If nobody is laughing after about 20 minutes, I figure they must not have any funny books and leave.

I own the Humour section in our book shop and it's always difficult to know to be honest. I have tried it both ways, and have ended up finding that the best way is a merge of both. I start of with 'joke books' as a general theme, then go a-z by author. However if there is a set of books i.e. Simpsons, they would go under S for Simpsons, as everyone who likes them knows their name, but not everyone knows the artist is Matt Groening. Also like the Grumpy Old... (men, women, christmas) series, I have put these udner G as they run in a series. I am tempted to rearrange the section after Xmas when it has quietened down a bit and do joke books, then series by alphabet e.g. Family Guy, Grumpy Old..., SImpsons, Worst Case Scenarios, i.e. the popular books of which there are more than about 3 of and aren't necessarily written by the same person, simply because grouping them together means that people are more likely to buy them if they like the other items in the series. The the second half do the 'odd' books in a-z author, e.g. Cook, Milligan etc. It really depends on whether the book you are looking for is better known as a series or for itself as a unique entity. However, it is well know that Humour is one of the most difficult sections to organise, for precisely the example you have given! Good luck.

Genre

Gotta agree with Soobee and Magicalle but I will add a suggestion: once you're in the a humour section, head straight for the 'P' and try Terry Pratchett. He is very clever and makes amusing observations on life and our society-guaranteed laughs!!

particularly recommended if you're British! (and possibly even more so if you're a Londoner!).

genre first. once in the correct section i would look alphabetically for the author and then lastly the title. hope this helps

I would look for genre if I didn't have any particular author in mind.

• arun d

Author of course

• soobee

Genre means the category, or type of book

therefor, you would look under genre