Would you have a beta fish?

Why or why not?

Is it tru they only need a little fishbowl or vase to live in?

I want to get a fish but I want a easy fish.

Favorite Answer

No, I wouldn't have one. They need a warmer environment than I could give them.

Besides, they need more room than a little bowl or vase.

"There is a stereotype that in the wild, bettas live in tiny muddy pools, and therefore that it is acceptable, even kind, to keep them in bowls and small tanks. In reality, bettas live in vast paddies, the puddle myth originating from the fact that during the dry season, the paddies can dry out into small patches of water. It is not a natural state of affairs by any means, and in the wild, fish trapped in such puddles are likely to die in a short period of time when they dry out.

To maximize the lifespan of the fish and ensure their wellbeing, they should always be kept in appropriate sized tanks. As a rule of thumb, for each inch of fish there must be at least one gallon of water in its tank. Bettas idealy should be kept in a filtered tank 10 gallons or more and treated like any other freshwater tank fish. Although these conditions are ideal, with proper care and filtration a betta can be happily kept in a smaller tank."

-- www.wikipedia.com

Look under Betta or Siamese Fighting Fish for a LOT more info.

• Shadow

I've kept many Siamese fighting fish. They are beautiful & very easy to take care of. In the wild they live in the shallows of the rice paddies, so they do not need large tanks of water.

I kept mine separated, of course, and in small, decorated bowls on my book shelves. My favorite was a beautiful black fish that lived about 3 1/2 years.

Edit: Yes. I do agree that one gallon of water fish is appropriate, but even that is a very small tank as compared to other aquariums.

Sure, they are cute! I knew someone who had one, and they really aren't that much maintainence for a fish and they do only need a "small" environment".

as long as you keep the water clean, they can live in small containers. they are very pretty fish & easy to care for.

Girl, whats your obsession with fish?!

i have two of them

in separate houses

had them for a year now very low maintenance

yes they actually have to surface to breath air