Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsGeography · 1 decade ago

Do the vast majority of Americans think that Africa is a country?

• MILAYA
    Favorite Answer

We are not all stupid. It's a continent.

It won't surprise me at all that Americans think that Africa is a country, Canada is right next to them an they know nothing about it..

I don't think the vast majority do. Unfortunately, our school systems have gone down hill because no one wants to pay the taxes it takes to keep them well-funded and up to date. Therefore, more and more Americans are ignorant of geography, culture, and even their own history and language - it's a true disgrace!!

No.

It is a continent with many countries.

Geography is not taught in the remedial school systems. So hence forth therefore you will find enough people giving you ridiculous answers to geographical questions.

Source(s): That moron who asked me if African people live on trees, that dim wit who asked me why Africans walk around naked, and that missing-link who asked me if Africans have pet lions in their back yard.
  • Jess H

I don't know anyone who thinks Africa is a country. The people I know are aware that it's a city! (JUST KIDDING--They know it's a continent.)

I doubt that many people in the US ever think of Africa, let alone try to classify it.

Thats what happens when the government tries to run education, same thing when they try to do what they are not supposed to do... like stop poverty!!