Jo
Lv 4
Jo asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 decade ago

Any gourmet cooks out there who might be able to figure a recipe for cranberry pudding?

I recently purchased a wonderful cranberry pudding at a craft show. The ingredients include whole cranberries and molasses, uses little or no fat and little sugar.. I would love to be able to figure it out so that I could make one from scratch. Any ideas?

Update:

To Jimmy and Jonathan: Thank you both so very much. These recipes both look wonderful and I plan to make each of them today. I really appreciate you helping me.

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Cranberry Steamed Pudding

from Better Homes and Gardens Five Seasons Cranberry Book 1971

2 cups (1/2 pound) fresh cranberries, sliced

1 cup raisins

1/2 cup chopped nuts

1/2 cup snipped dates

1 1/3 cups sifted all-purpose flour

1/2 cup light molasses

2 teaspoons baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

Mix cranberries, raisins, nuts, and dates. Add flour and stir well. Combine molasses, soda, salt, and 1/3 cup boiling water; stir into fruit mixture. Pour into greased 6-cup mold. Cover tightly with foil; tie with string. Place on rack in deep kettle; add boiling water 1 inch deep. Cover; steam 1 1/4 hours, adding water 1 inch deep. Cover; steam 1 1/4 hours, adding water if needed. Cool 10 minutes; unmold. Makes 8 servings.

Serve with Hard Sauce: Thoroughly cream 1/2 cup butter, softened, 2 cups sifted confectioners' sugar, and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Beat 1 egg yolk and blend into creamed mixture. Beat 1 egg white until stiff peaks form. Fold into butter mixture. Chill. Makes about 1 1/2 cups sauce.

Note: To reheat pudding, wrap and seal securely in foil. Heat in 300 degrees oven for 30 minutes.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Here is an English Style Pudding

8 thin slices white bread

Butter, softened

5 cups cranberries

1/2 to 2/3 cups sugar

1 tablespoon lemon juice

1/3 cup water

Butter bread slices very lightly and line small baking dish with 4 slices. In a sauce pan combine cranberries, sugar lemon juice and water. Bring to a simmer and cook for about 10 minutes. Pour berry-mixture over bread. Layer remaining slices over berries. Place another dish on top and press down. Pour off excess liquid and reserve to serve with pudding or use for a sauce for ice cream. Cover with plastic wrap and weight down. Chill at least 6 hours before serving.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.