why does Honda sell Integrity tires on new Pilot's, when you check Goodyear's website?

it shows that the Pilot should use Fortera tires. The Integrity tires were made for cars and minivans, not SUV's.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The biggest misconception people have about OE fitment is that Automakers put the cheapest crap they can get their hands on when building a car. Aftermarket customers generaly do decide that way, carmakers don't. A lot of time, testing and development with the "bidding" tire companies go into the tire decision for any given vehicle.

A recommendation in the real sense is just that "a recommendation". The Fortera is one of the few models "designed for SUVs and other crossovers". Recommendations are rarely based on price. Unfortunately, tire buyers are price driven not benefit driven. Many "car tires" work fine for these vehicles. That is not to say there aren't better recommendations. I suggest you buy the best you can afford; afterall, your safety depends on it.

Source(s): Trusted expert
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

EXACTLY--Honda doesn't build a REAL SUV--as in Truck Based and they know it. The Pilot while thrown into the SUV class using todays modern design terms is based off from a CAR type platform. Same thing with the Honda Truck--it is based from a CAR's Platform This effectively limits their capabilites to that of the CAR who's platform it is built off from. Since the vehicle is only capable of handling what that particular CARs platfrom could it only needs the tires appropriate for that CAR. From an engineering definition standpoint Honda builds nothing other than cars So Honda only puts on tires for CARS. Goodyear however sales tires to categories and even if a CAR happens to be in the SUV or truck category they are going to recommend the tire designed for said category which will probably have Truck-based SUVS which DO require the heaveir duty tire. Don't take this as a bash but the Pilot is nothing more than a "Squared" up version of the Minivan--Built from an Accord Platform.

• 1 decade ago

The Goodyear Integrity is a low rolling resistance tire; it is used on the Pilot to increase gas milage. Goodyear suggests the Fortera because it is twice the price.

• 1 decade ago

Hey I agree with you about the tire selection. I detail cars part time and I remember seeing a Lexus RX (SUV) with Michelin Energy tires, same tires from the Toyota Avalon but different size. I would usually expect an SUV to have light truck tires but touring tires are much cheaper and they do make them in sizes that will fit trucks and suv's nowadays.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

New car manufacturers use whatever tires they get a good deal on.

Where I worked we got allot of new vehicles. Often trucks built at the same time would have different brands of tires on them.

M

• uh..goodyear is having alot of problems right now if you havent been watching the news lol

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.