Where is the closest place to Bangkok to ride elephants and what are the closest waterfalls to Bangkok?

I know that the most famous places for elephant trekking are the northern provinces, like Chiangmai and Chiangrai, but we don't have time to go up there. I'm not necessarily looking for trekking, but at least a ride. And if we could find waterfalls somewhere within driving distance of Bangkok, that would great.

Favorite Answer

Closest Elephant riding is at Suan Sampran, 30 km from Chao Phya River on the west side of Bkk.

Water Falls are at Nakorn Nayok ~80 Km Northeast of Bkk, Khaoyai National Park ~ 140 km to the north of Bkk. or Karchanaburi ~ 160 km on the west of Bkk.. Actually you almost can find almost everything within the 160-200 km from Bangkok including the beautiful beach of Hua Hin.

Everything you're looking for is just right within my city. If you are really short of time...go to SAFARI WORLD to ride an elephant. They've also got more attractions to offer together with our furry and feathered friends. It's just 45mins from the city center.

With the waterfalls, uhm...I'm afraid Bangkok is not a nature reserve. The nearest natural waterfall is in the next province outside Bangkok, which is Kanchanaburi. You can arrange a day trip to go there.

But if you really just wanna hear loads of water falling...you can try Bangkok's very own 100-foot-plus waterfall at The Mall Bangkapi. It's obviously man-made becasue it's inside the mall but the water splashing down 100 feet below is music to the ears.

Pattaya is just 2 hours drive from Bangkok. This city usually have everything within a 15 minute drive range. This city is designed that way. From elephant rides, to shooting galleries, to go-karting, to para-sailing, name it, you'll be guaranteed to find what you're looking for...Pattaya is a good option too.

I hope this helps my friend.

I think the Rose Garden/Thai cultural village is probably what you are looking for and this can be done as a half day tour. Check with the tour desk at your hotel.

The closest waterfall to Bangkok that I know of would be in Kanchanaburi. And I think there might be places where you can ride elephant as well as eco-tourism is pretty good there. (but don't quote me about the elephant)

Have a look at the links below. They might be of some use to what you want to do. I hope this helps.

I don't think anyone's said Ayutthaya yet, plenty of elephant rides there. Ayutthaya is about 88km north of Bangkok and is the former capital city of Thailand (a long long long time ago).

Waterfalls - agree with whats been said above. Personally, I'd head out to Khao Yai for a bit of riding the rapids.

Both of these are standard day trips from Bangkok.

Chang Mai is the most popular and I would guess the closest, though you could ride an elephant on some of the bigger islands as well, but it's not the same as riding them in the jungle and the places where they actually work...Lots of them and the trainers are excellent and the ride is wild and unforgettable.

It's too bad you won't have time to check it out - it would be awesome! (Sorry - I didn't read but the main Q when I'd answered...) The above A is better and suits your Q - Pattaya...

Source(s): Went there with my kids a couple of times on holiday when we lived in Japan and with a friend as well. The riding and hiking and also rafting offerred at the camps where the elephant rides were offered were most memorable.

You can enjoy an elephant riding at Sampran Crocodile and Elephant Zoo and further to Cultural village at Rose Garden (both having Elephant Shows) as a one day tour. Nearest water falls is in Saraburi province "Muaklek" waterfalls, located 100 km north of Bangkok and 1.3 hour driving. My company is offering greeting service upon arrival and airport transfer. Please contact "Nancy" at nttour@mail.com. No matter of money, I can help as a travel consultant for business promotion.

Source(s): www.nt-tour.com/inbound.html

one more!!

U can to go to Crocodile farm in Samutprakarn (the same city of the airport) There are a lot of animals to see. You can ride elephants and see the shows from elephants. I like it a lot! :)

• Jim G

I don't know of many places in or near BKK but this can be done at the Nong Nooch Tropical Gardens near Pattaya.