My van sliding doors freeze shut all the time, does anyone know of a product to prevent this from happening?

I have a 2004 Chevy Venture and my sliding doors always freeze shut. Even when I warm my van up the sliding doors take forever to open. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!!

Best Answer

They all have good ideas but try to stay away from petroleum products (vasoline). Use a silicone based product so it doesnt hurt the rubber. you can also wax the paint on the door jamb where the rubber sits and put armor all on the rubber. This will collect much less dust. Armor all is better than STP, I kow from years of use

Source(s): mechanic for 8 years
  • clar

those situations do not take position too commonly with ice yet they do get up. once you think it will be one among those nights, basically drape a heavy piece of plastic intense of the door and position a refrigerator magnet or 2 down low, previous the window molding rubber seam. something you spray into that door except a silicone type lubricant will make the interior the motor vehicle smell undesirable, Your precise, it is not inevitably the lock, however the rods that flow by the door from the numerous lock to the interior door take care of ( maximum likely ). some automobiles basically have a real undesirable window seal the position it meets the door and it a real discomfort. So, for the quantity of circumstances we journey freezing rain situations, you may basically favor to attempt this. Get your self some spray silicone and slightly longer plastic tube to direct some spray onto the linkage to boot. in case you arrive homestead with moist homestead windows which will quickly freeze up, get the plastic on it once you could. i desire this helps slightly... it somewhat works for me in decrease massive apple State.... ninety 5 Toyota Camry...

I would suggest applying a silicone spray to the door seals. This should prevent any water from freezing on the door seals. They make a spray and a thick liquid you can apply to the door seals.

Kevin

Carry a towel in your van. After you wash it, wipe the inside of the sliding door frames.

Try using a little bit of Vaseline or a thin coat of oil on the seals when you know the temps are going to freeze

This may sound funny but I know some-one who sprays Pam on the doors hinges when he hears temps are going to drop. Claims it works better that the d-ice stuff.

I have a wonderful solution to your problem, its called living in the south where it never gets cold enough to freeze!

if it is the guide rails try putting a bit of White Lithium Grease by Permatex on it... then use a silicone spray on your weatherstripping.

Source(s): Exxon Service Tech.