Why does my 2006 RX-8 top out at 125MPH without even hitting 6th gear?

I was out in the middle of the desert with nobody around trying to see how fast my 8 would go. It's an automatic, which I know loses some power, but I was only in 5th gear, I had all of 6th gear to get more speed (and plenty of straightaway). It just revs and pegs at 125mph. How can I fix this?

I feel the need. The need for speed. I figured it is limited by an electronic governor, but the question is, WHY is there an electronic governor in my car? :-(

I paid for the Z-rated tires for the purpose of going fast. I don't do these kinds of speeds anywhere near civilization, and I always make sure I have plenty of straight, visible road before I put the hammer down. I have confirmation from a manual transmission RX-8 owner that his can do about 146, so I am guessing the limiter is there to protect the automatic transmission.

Favorite Answer

Most automakers limit their vehicles around 120 miles per hour. Other then engine and transmission safety don't forget to think about what speed ratings your tires have. Chances are they are not Z rated, which you should have for speeds over 110 mph +. Also you have to include safe braking distances which dramatic increase over 75 mph. There are several companies that have re-programmers to rid you of this problem.

You have an automatic? Top HP is 212.

I have a manual, best I can do is 155mph. The limiter kills me at 9000rpm, I dont know what it does in an automatic, but this is what mine does *why would you buy an automatic? stick is the ONLY way to go!!*

You have less horse, I shift into sixth at 5th's redline and dont have alot of room left to go. I would assume the same for you.. 6th is just to give the engine a break, not have the same realm 1-5 does.

How can you fix this? Wait till the warranty is over, add another rotor.. and a MANUAL transmission. You're topped out.

PS ticleve? ROTARY MAN! NO VALVES!!

• ajponu

The auto tranny is limited. My cousin has an auto one and it also tops at around 120-125mph. You may also have the pedal floored to the gound, so the car is probably sticking in overdrive, let off the gas a bit and let it shift into 6th gear.

I would doubt that it has a governor limiting your speed in the higher gears. I would guess that the engines power range tops out at a particular rpm. The engine doesn't have any more to give, regardless of what gear it's in, otherwise we wouldn't need all those gears. I have a 2006 SRT Dodge Viper that tops out at 192 mph in 5th gear, sixth gear doesn't make any difference, the engine doesn't have any more to give. You most likely have a rev limiter in the lower gears to prevent you over-reving the engine and bending push rods and valve stems.

usualy the governor is set depending on the aerodanamic of the car thats why the mazdaspeed 3 hits 155mph they create more downforce for that car so the set the computer to hit 155,you can do the same by swap the wing to a better one and find a friend to fix you ecu

• Fred C

Take a huge hammer and start at the front of the car. Flatten it about 10 inches from front to back, and it will cut through the air better. You do know the automatic has 20 fewer horsepower, I presume. It will be tough to get into after the adjustment, and it will look like crap, but it will go faster. Geez, what the hell is wrong with you? Do you have a death wish?

• Bill S

Your car is governed at that speed electronically. Better question is why would you want to drive that fast in the first place unless you in the indy 500.

Source(s): Offroader, Offroad Recovery Expert

hi yup she will shut down w/ the factory chip in her..

soooo rechip her.. and then the sky's the limit .. my 04 loves to run she'll do a buck 25 in 4th why 6 gears .. bragging rights lol..

I unlike some out here....applaud your top speed effort. It's also funny that my 96 Prelude with 135hp has a higher top speed. Guess what cars I will be picking on while on the freeway. :)

• (A)

Slow down if you want grand kids.Sounds like your ride is too quick.