Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesTheatre & Acting · 1 decade ago

Where does Richmond, from Shakespeare's Richard III, come from?

Richmond, not Richard.

I think they mentioned that Richmond was coming from this place to attack Richard to get the throne, but I've forgotten where.

In the context of the play, please; not the real Richmond.

• sarayu
    Favorite Answer

The site gives an excellent idea on Richmond. Few details from the source is given:

As with Macbeth, Richard's supposed villainy is depicted as extreme in order to achieve maximum dramatic effect. Critics have argued that this dark depiction of Richard developed because the ruling monarch of Shakespeare's time, Elizabeth I, was the granddaughter of Henry VII of England the Lancastrian Earl of Richmond. (the historical figure of Richmond, Richard's successor who became King Henry VII.) Shakespeare's noble and brave Richmond was, indeed, a fiction of his imagination, for the real Richmond (later Henry VII, Elizabeth I's grandfather) lay somewhere between hero and villain (as most people do). According to Shakespeare, though, Richmond was a brave, valiant warrior, destined and rightfully called to be peaceful leader of England. But was he? Historically, Richard III had a much more secure claim and direct route to the throne than Richmond did. Richmond was a descendent of John of Gaunt, the fourth son of Edward III, through John's mistress, Katharine Swynford. Even though John later married Katharine, her children were denied rights to the throne during Richard II's reign. Later, the Lancastrian clan legitimized them, but then the Yorkists reversed that legitimization. In short, Richmond was a Lancaster descendent through the female line, whose claims were roughly equivalent to those of a *******.

VR

Richmond started in France (Brittany, in particular), where he got a navy to come take over England. There were some mishaps along the way, and he ended up apparently in Yorkshire to meet Buckingham's army.

From there, Shakespeare says that he landed at "Milford", which is in Surrey, though in the next scene he's said to be in "Pembroke, or at Harford-west, in Wales". (I think Shakespeare may have meant Mill Bay, in Wales).

In the next scene he's at Tamworth, from which he heads to Bosworth Field to defeat Richard.

I hope one of those is the answer to your question.