Is there a good trick for stuck jar lid removal?

Besides getting a hunky muscle guy to open it for you? It's not always easy to find one when you need one.

• Susan
    Favorite Answer

I pound the lid on the edge of the counter - if it is still tight, try focusing on the lid (by staring). You'll then get all your energy into loosening the lid.

If the lid is metal, get an ice pick and puncture a very small hole through it. That will equalize the pressure between the inside and the outside of the jar, and make it a LOT easier to open. If it's plastic, you can heat the tip of the ice pick in a candle flame and accomplish the same thing. Cover the hole up with a bit of tape, and you can keep on using the lid. I do this with lots of stuff, as I don't have a guy around the place, unless you count my lazy cat ;-)

some Technics is all it takes. some situations very heat water ran over the lid will help loosen the lid. yet another is a gadget that wraps around what ever length jar you have and it supplies you greater muscle potential to push the jar lid open. Or, now and back a warm rag wrapped around the lid will loosen it adequate to open. we've canned our own vegetables for some years and now and back we choose some real muscle potential to open caught jar lids. So I count on the gadget that grips the lid and with slightly muscle potential pushes the lid open.

If you have a Chef's knife use the heal of the blade( the sharp connor near the handle) and cut a hole in the cap. If you are going to re-cap the jar put a piece of tape over the little slice to make it tight. Do NOT use the point, you'll stab yourself.! If you haven't got the knife buy an ice pick and do the same thing.....Once you release to vacuum with in the container it will open with relative ease..

Holding the jar in 1 hand & smacking the jar on the bottom 2 or 3 times with the palm of the other hand usually breaks the vacuum so you can then open it without much struggle!

• CG

Sometimes you'll get a stuck jar that will allow the tip of a butter knife up between the lid and the glass....please don't cut yourself! But if you get it up there, the pressure will be released and the jar will open.

Other than that, there are those rubbery jar gripper thingys....and they do make a utensil thing now with rubber on the inside that grips a jar and allows leverage.

Hold the jar upside down under some very hot running water letting the hot water hit at the seam lid area area.

The hot water expands the metal, thus it's easier to open.

.

Source(s): Experience.

There is a jar opener made by Black and Decker. It is a good replacement for a muscle guy. They cost about forty bucks, but sometimes are on sale for less than $10.

Poor or run really hot water over the lid. OR like my grandma said just consentrait all your muscle power on the lid and it should open! I have never tried my grandma's theory though.

take a bottle opener and pry on one part of the lid ever so gently until the air seal breaks and then try twisting the lid. It has worked for me.