1989 LeSabre 3.8 Car stalling and hunting, but when I unplugh TPS car runs fine. Does this indicate bad TPS?

Exactly how would I do the volt test on the TPS? .45 to 4.5 volts. Which leads do I hook up to? I am not familiar with this procedure.

Thanks

Best Answer

Three wires in connector,

A (Gry wire) is 5 volt reference.

B (Dk Blue) is signal return

C (Black) is ground.

There should be 5 volts on A,

B should be .5v at closed throttle and around 4.5v at wide open throttle.

i own a repair shop,and if you can unplug the tps,and the car runs better ,that s a definite sign the tps is bad on it,that's the fastest test you can do on those,a bad mass air flow sensor will also cause this ,but you can tap on it with the plastic part of a screwdriver handle,and it will smooth out,that's an easy test for it also,,but i have found more tps ,sensors to be bad than ,maf ,sensors,you can take it by auto zone,and they will scan it free of charge ,and tell you if its either one of those bad,then you,ll know for sure ,that's the best idea ,on these ,to be sure,good luck,i hope this help,s.

Source(s): been a certified mechanic for 36 yrs.

TPS would not cause this problem, that is the mass airflow meter. Are you sure you are not unplugging that? It will be located around the throttle body also. Replace the MAF (mass air flow)....works every time!