KB asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 decade ago

How do I copyright a poem I wrote in Canada?

I wrote a poem and it was suggested I copyright it but I have no idea how to go about this. I live in Canada so Canadian answers would be particularly helpful. Is mailing it to myself a viable option?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

You can simply write © your name here, date.

Indicating copyright

There is no requirement to mark your work under the Copyright Act. The Universal Copyright Convention provides for marking with the symbol ©, the name of the copyright owner and the year of first publication, for example, © Jane Doe, 1986. Although not obligatory in Canada, such marking can serve as a reminder to others of a copyright as well as providing the name of the owner. Some countries that are members of the Universal Copyright Convention, but not of the Berne Convention require such marking. You may use this notice even if you have not registered your work.

http://strategis.ic.gc.ca/sc_mrksv/cipo/cp/copy_gd...

What is a copyright?

In the simplest terms, "copyright" means "the right to copy." Only the owner of copyright, very often the creator of the work, is allowed to produce or reproduce the work in question or to permit anyone else to do so.

Automatic protection for Canadian and foreign works

When you create a work or other subject matter protected by copyright, you will automatically have copyright protection provided that, at the time of creation, you were:

A. a Canadian citizen or a person ordinarily resident in Canada;

B. a citizen or subject of, or a person ordinarily resident in, a Berne Convention country, a Universal Copyright Convention country, a Rome Convention country (for sound recordings, performer's performance and communication signals only), or a country that is a member of the World Trade Organization (WTO); or

C. a citizen or subject of, or a person ordinarily resident in any country to which the Minister has extended protection by notice in the Canada Gazette.

Registration of Copyright

You do not have to register your copyright to have protection in Canada, but when you register with the Copyright Office, you receive a certificate which can be used to your advantage in the event that your work is infringed.

A certificate of registration is evidence that your work is protected by copyright and that you, the person registered, are the owner. In the event of a legal dispute, you do not have to prove ownership; the onus is on your opponent to disprove it.

However, registration is no guarantee against infringement. You have to take legal action on your own if you believe your rights have been violated. Also, registration is no guarantee that your claim of ownership will eventually be recognized as legitimate. Note too, that the Copyright Office does not check to ensure that your work is indeed original, as you claim. Verification of your claim can only be done through a court of law.

Policing your copyright

The Copyright Office is not responsible for ensuring that your copyright is not being infringed. This is your responsibility. Suppose a person publishes a novel very much like yours, simply disguising the plagiarism with a few name changes. It is up to you to launch legal action. Then, it will be up to the courts to decide whether, indeed, you have been wronged. However, the Copyright Act does contain criminal remedies which apply to certain types of serious infringement or piracy.

What to do if you don't want it registered (too expensive).

A simple way to protect your copyright with a written work is to simply put it in an envelope and mail it to yourself. Then file it away somewhere safe. If after you publish your work and find someone else has stolen it for monetary gain or has used it without your permission, you will have proof of the date that it was created by the postmark on the unopened letter.

Twenty Common Questions about Copyright:

http://strategis.ic.gc.ca/sc_mrksv/cipo/cp/faq_cp-...

• 4 years ago

we could turn this around, we could? Say you in undemanding words wrote the main nicely enjoyed music on the charts - your record company supplies you to pay you in royalties off the sale. You sell some copies yet rapidly no person buys your music, regardless of if its determination one by using fact each physique is sharing it for loose. Your music then drops from the determination one spot, no longer by using fact no person is listening to it, yet no person is figuring out to purchase it, this is how determination one hits are desperate. Your music is now no longer comprehensive, you havent gotten any roylaties and its all by using fact people "Shared without paying" How do you journey approximately copyright regulation now?

• 1 decade ago

He would have to go to a copyright office in america...

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

tell them u wrote it in america

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.