Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelUnited StatesBoston · 1 decade ago

Bad area of Boston?

visiting Boston next week and dont want to get on the "T" and end up in the bad parts of Boston...but I dont know which areas to avoid. Please help!

• Mike R
    Favorite Answer

Dorchester, Mattapan, and Roxbury are statistically the highest crime areas so that would be most of the Orange Line south of downtown, or the Ashmont branch of the Red Line also south of downtown. Statistically, though, Boston's fairly safe for a major city. I grew up right outside Washington DC - the city of Washington and city of Boston are pretty much the same size but Boston's violent crime is between a third and a half of Washington's.

(I should clarify that it's true that even within those 3 sections of the city there are "good" and "bad" areas there are just about a half dozen really bad parts within those areas)

Source(s): I live in Boston
  • Hank

Whereas Dorchester, Roxbury and Mattapan combined geographically covers

about 1/2 of the city Mike R's answer may freak you out. However, there are just three neighborhoods of those areas where there are crime concentrations: Heath-Bromley (T rail stop: Jackson Square), Dudley-Magnolia (T rail stop: Uphams Corner) and Talbot-Norfolk (closest T rail stop: Morton Street). On the other hand some crime occurs everywhere, like in any other place.

• Cheese

Pay no attention to TheOnlyBe.He's obviously an idiot.The question should be what are some safe places to go in Boston.The North End is fun and very safe.Fanieul Hall has great restaurants,and interesting stores.Avoid the out skirts as mentioned in other answers.the orange and green lines willl let you off in some safe and populated places.If you are coming now,bring warm clothes.Have fun and welcome to Boston.

Crime, of course, can happen anywhere. I would say if you are going to be taking the T, avoid getting off around the Dudley Station area, that is where I hear about the most crime on the news, etc.

thats funny cause i live in chicago and when i go to rural places like central florida i get freaked out. Im a city boy i guess, the thought of being in the woods near wild animals freaks me out. Yes i am scared of city Rats, racoons, possum all rodents

Good luck, just watch your back

no matter where you go

confusing issue. do a search at a search engine. just that can help!

Roxbury!!Stay away from that area. shoot outs all the time.

Source(s): live in boston

You need to pretty much avoid the whole city.

only if ur near fenaway park (red sox)