Non Hodgkins Lymphoma or Leukemia?

My dad has cancer again for the 2nd time in 5 yrs. His CBC comes back normal at every Drs. visit but the Drs. say he still has cancer, why is that? He also found out 2 weeks ago he is very anemic.

Favorite Answer

Non-hodgkins lymphoma is the cancer of arising from lymphocytes, a type of white blood cell. The most common symptom of non-Hodgkin lymphoma is a painless swelling of the lymph nodes in the neck, underarm, or groin. Other symptoms may include the following: Unexplained fever, Night sweats, poor apetite or unexplained weight loss, Constant fatigue, Itchy skin, reddened patches on the skin

Leukemia is a cancer of the blood or bone-marrow, and is characterized by an abnormal growth of blood-cells, usually white blood cells. Damage to the bone marrow, by displacing the normal marrow cells with increasing numbers of malignant cells, results in a lack of blood platelets.This means people with leukemia may become bruised, bleed excessively, or develop pinprick bleeds. White blood cells, which are involved in fighting pathogens, may be dysfunctional, putting the patient at the risk of developing infections. Red blood cell deficiency leads to anemia. (make not that all symptoms may also be attributable to other diseases; for diagnosis, blood tests and a bone marrow biopsy are required) Some other related symptoms: Fever, chills, and other flu-like symptoms, Weakness and fatigue,Loss of appetite and/or weight, Swollen or bleeding gums, Neurological symptoms, Enlarged liver and spleen.

Hope that helped.

• mac

I'm sorry to hear about your dad. The anemia can be a side affect of the cancer treatments he must've had- like chemo or radiation. PLEASE- talk to your dad's doctor--they are the ones to explain all the minute details of what is going on with your dad and his prognosis- which means his % of survival for the type of cancer he has. They HAVE TO TELL YOU, if you ask--- take another family member with you- bring a notebook to write it down because, if you are like me, when I know something bad is going on I'm like the deer in the middle of the road frozen looking at the oncoming car and I can't remember a thing afterwards- that is why a notebook is good because you can have him write it down or you can- you could probably read your handwriting better. And ALWAYS consider getting a second opinion- I assume this is the Oncologist you will be speaking to- his cancer doctor- and you may want to take your dad to a different cancer center for a second opinion--- he has one life and doctors ARE NOT GOD, even though some of them think they are-- get a second opinion at a different cancer center ---it will give you peace of mind that you have gone the extra mile to help your dad out...........good luck to you both..............

sounds like Non Hodgkins Lymphoma

• Char

It may be an indolent [slow-growing] type where the only thing to do is watch and wait.

Here's the website with the best disease info:

http://www.leukemia-lymphoma.org/hm_lls

Best wishes

Source(s): Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma Survivor