Can I register my car in Michigan a month before I get there?

My Calif. registration expires on March 14, and I plan to move to Michigan in mid-April. If I get new Calif. tags, I pay for a whole year, but I'll have to register it in Michigan by mid-May, I suppose. What's the best thing to do?

Favorite Answer

No, before you can register a vehicle in MI you have to be a resident of the state.

New Michigan Residents

Registration Requirements

New Michigan residents must immediately title and register their vehicles at a Secretary of State branch office and turn in the title from their previous home state. “Resident” means every person who resides in a settled or permanent home or domicile with the intention of remaining in this state. A person who obtains employment in Michigan is presumed to have the intention of remaining here.

If your out-of-state title is being held by a lien holder or leasing company, you may take your previous state registration (it can be recently expired) or proof of your out-of-state title to any Secretary of State branch office along with proof of Michigan no-fault insurance for the vehicle. Michigan will issue a registration-only for the vehicle. This will allow Michigan to issue a license plate without converting the out-of-state title to a Michigan title.

If there is more than one owner showing on your out-of-state title, all owners must be present. If an owner cannot appear, they may complete and sign an Appointment of Agent form designating another individual to sign on their behalf.

Contact Michigan DMV and ask them, Usually they want to inspect an out of state vehicle.