Can I register my car in Michigan a month before I get there?

My Calif. registration expires on March 14, and I plan to move to Michigan in mid-April. If I get new Calif. tags, I pay for a whole year, but I'll have to register it in Michigan by mid-May, I suppose. What's the best thing to do?

2 Answers

  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    No, before you can register a vehicle in MI you have to be a resident of the state.

    New Michigan Residents

    Registration Requirements

    New Michigan residents must immediately title and register their vehicles at a Secretary of State branch office and turn in the title from their previous home state. “Resident” means every person who resides in a settled or permanent home or domicile with the intention of remaining in this state. A person who obtains employment in Michigan is presumed to have the intention of remaining here.

    If your out-of-state title is being held by a lien holder or leasing company, you may take your previous state registration (it can be recently expired) or proof of your out-of-state title to any Secretary of State branch office along with proof of Michigan no-fault insurance for the vehicle. Michigan will issue a registration-only for the vehicle. This will allow Michigan to issue a license plate without converting the out-of-state title to a Michigan title.

    If there is more than one owner showing on your out-of-state title, all owners must be present. If an owner cannot appear, they may complete and sign an Appointment of Agent form designating another individual to sign on their behalf.

  • 1 decade ago

    Contact Michigan DMV and ask them, Usually they want to inspect an out of state vehicle.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.