Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsCancer · 1 decade ago

Could I have leukemia?

I have been feeling "off" for the last few weeks, just not right. I've been having problems with fatigue (I have very little energy most of the time). I've also had sleep problems (waking up at night), but even when this doesn't happen i'm still really tired in the mornings. I get about 8-9 hours of sleep a night and still I feel this way. I've also kind of been feeling cold a lot of the time, but i've had a few "hot flashes" where despite the fact that we're in the middle of a very cold canadian winter, I've gotten really sweaty and felt like I was about to faint. (I am NOT menopausal, i'm 15 years old.) My skin tone also looks a bit off, kind of pale but sort of red and splotchy in places (this could be due to my acne medication, but it doesn't explain the paleness). I have basically felt like I am "coming down with something" but nothing has happened. I have heard of leukemia cases that have started off this way, so I am a little worried. Should I be worried?

I've also been having pains in my legs...

An iron deficiency isn't likely, since I'm already on iron supplements.

Favorite Answer

Go see a doctor. No one on the internet can diagnose you.

I've survived Leukemia twice. For me, I started off having very little energy, then I got a very high fever. Symptoms vary, though. My best advice is to get a blood test. Preferably a CBC. The hot flashes don't seem to have anything to do with Leukemia, but I'd still get my blood drawn if I were you, just to be safe. And if you do end up having it, (I hope you dont) remember: it's treatable. I got it when I was 11, then relapsed at 14. I'm now 15. I had a bone marrow transplant, and I'm doing outstanding. There's hope if you have it. :)

As the others have said you need to go to the doctor so some blood work can be done. You may just have Mono which will also cause alot of the symptoms you have described. They only way to be sure what is going on is to have the blood work done and followed by a visit to the doctor. Good Luck and hope you feel better soon.

Go to your doctor and ask about anemia (iron-deficiency) and ask about leukemia, which I doubt it is. Tell your doc how you've been feeling and they probably run some tests (urinalaysis and blood tests). Don't worry because that will make you feel worse. I've been feeling the same way all winter (Seattle, WA, dark and cold) pale skin and tired too. Good luck!

Something else to look for is unexplained bruising, i.e. bruises resulting from no known trauma. If you're concerned it's best you see a doctor and explain your symptoms so they may determine what may be wrong.

You should not be worried. Since you aren't feeling well see the doc for a complete checkup if you haven't had your yearly physical yet.

• hobo

The only real way you will know what is going on is GO TO THE DOCTOR with Mom in Tow

Source(s): ex student nurse

You could just be getting a bad case of the flu. Luekemia is a bit extreme....go to your doctor as soon as you can!!!

It is likely more to do with hormones than anything else. However, if you are worried it would be best to just get checked out.

Only a physical exam and laboratory work can answer this. It could be any number of things.