How badly does this hurt me? Will I get in trouble?

A company that I formerly worked for sent me out my W-2 for last year, and when I went and got my taxes done, apparently it said that no state taxes were taken out, for MD or PA (where I live). I knew that was wrong, but I couldn't prove it so I just got my taxes done. (I left his company in a bad way because they are unethical.) I just found my last pay stub from last year that covered the time up until I left. It not only said that $700 in MD taxes were taken out for the year, it said I made $4,000 LESS than what was reported on my W-2. Now I have to go back to the tax place with this pay stub and show that taxes were really taken out and my income was wrong and refile or whatever it is I have to do. Will I get in trouble for tax fraud?

Favorite Answer

I can appreciate your position, I worked for a very unethical company as well, that has had problems with the IRS. But, that was the least of their problems. When they all go downhill they have no one to blame but themselves. Since it isn't your fault I don't know how you can be held accountable. I would talk to the IRS and explain the situation. Good luck to you.

• Judy

No, you won't get in trouble, it isn't your fault - you're more the victim here. You need to report this to the IRS.