How does one 'fight' a divorce?

My friend is seekng a divorce from her husband of ... well, less than a year (around 6-8 months, I believe. He claims that he's going to 'fight' it. How does one fight a divorce? They have no children together, no houses or anything, no joint assets--she has already moved out and into her own apartment, he moved out of their former apartment together and into another place.

How would one fight a divorce to begin with?

The state is MD (Maryland).

Favorite Answer

What a dope he is...LOL it hasn't even been a year, so it won't even be a divorce. It's called an annulment. I'm not sure if I spelled it right, but it's when two people marry under false pretenses. They usually do that when it's been less than a year. He can't fight it. She needs to consult a paralegal it's cheaper than a lawyer and they can do it for her. They don't own anything together anyway or have kids. It's simple! Good luck to her!

*He can only ignore paperwork served,,,and that's pretty much all he can do to so called "fight" it.

He can contest the divorce and basically make it take longer, cost more and be more annoying to get one but he cant stop her from moving out. With such a short marriage I am not sure how long his contesting it would draw things out, I would be more curious as to why he is fighting it when she clearly is already gone!

The laws differ from state to state.. ever heard of irreconsiable differncences... you can refuse to sign the paper and to cooperate but ultimately you cant win a fight to state in a marriage with someone who doesnt want to be married to you! I think there is a time to cut your loss and walk away with dignity... even if you are hurt.!

• Peanut

This question lacks some significant information: in what state does the couple reside? Divorce laws differ from state to state. It would be most helpful in giving you an answer that is appropriate to the situation. :)

If they were married they DO have joint assets. Or did. He can claim that she abandonded the marriage and took assets that belonged to the marriage without proper division.

If hes already been served papers to appear in court,all he needs to do is go to court and contess it,or he can not go to court and she will have to pay more money but eventually it will go thru without him wanting it.I think 6 to 8 months is too long to have it annulled.

Do not fight it. If your partner doesnt' want to be with you then why would you want to be with them. Your relationship would never be the same even if they decided to stay. They would only be feeling sorry for you and anyone deserves better than that.

by refusing to sign the papers and telling the judge that he believes that the marriage can be saved. My ex did that. If he gets the right judge, she will be ordered to attend counseling with him.

• bubba

he can contest it and not sign the divorce papers and make it a long dragged out affair.

Ask a lawyer.