What is the book you've read that changed your life?

The Bible/Koran, etc is an easy one, kind of looking for answers other than those, but, its your answer.....

Best Answer

The Bible

Collection of childrens' poems by Edgar Guest

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (My first sci-fi read when I a lil kid and devoured sci-fi and fantasy ever since) (Jules Verne)

The Speckled Band (Same as above for mystery) (Sir Arthur Conan Doyle)

Siddartha (Herman Hesse)

The Fountainhead (Ayn Rand)

The Gambler (Dostoevsky)

The Winter of our Discontent (John Steinbeck)

The Magister Ludi (Herman Hesse)

Lay of the Last Minstrel (Sir Walter Scott)

Neuromancer (William Gibson)

The Notre Dame of Paris (Victor Hugo)

There are more, including a very large picture book about biology that my scientist aunt let me read when I was a small child visiting every weekend at her place.

Although many books have an impact (however slight) on perspective or one's body of knowledge; these mentioned above affected me by either introducing me to whole areas of life and human endeavour that I previously had paid no mind or allowing me to see something I was interested in from a radically different perspective and/or context. These books did so in such a way that it directly affected what I was doing or how I was doing it.

Silly as it may seem, JK Rowling's Harry Potter series has certainly enhanced my life for many reasons. I only started reading the books in 2003, just at the release of book five, The Order of the Phoenix.

Rowling's writing has inspired me to keep up my own writing when I was so close to just giving up.

The books feature such a fascinating array of characters. There are many fanartists out there that draw these characters in an animated/Disneyesque look. These artists have really inspired me and have returned me to my aspirations of being an animator.

Most importantly, though, it was with the help of these books that I met the love of my life. We met while I was shopping in his store. He noticed on my wrist the green Livestrong-like bracelet that was given out to those who pre-ordered the 6th book at Barnes & Noble and recognized what it was. Conversation immediately followed, with a plan to meet at the midnight IMAX showing of Goblet of Fire the next week. We've been dating since and are planning a 2008 wedding!

So, yes, it's true to say that Harry Potter has changed my life for the better!

Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand.It's a safe bet your instructors/Profs will never recommend it-they might even deem it heretical.Her ideas scare them to death.

But as just one example of her credibility,"The Maestro", Alan Greenspan,the former Federal Bank Chairman(arguably the most powerful man in the world- even above the president- due to the fact that he literally can/did affect global economies),used to study literally at her feet when he was in college.

It's a novel w/ micro(personal level)&(world) themes.

7 Habits of Highly Successful People and right now I'm reading The Fountainhead. Both recommended.

There are two in particular:

Les Miserables by Victor Hugo

A Dream of Red Mansions by Cao Xueqin

Initiation by Elizabeth Haich

White Thorn - Bryce Courtenay

amazing

The Secret

The Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous. I and millions of others have eliminated the drink problem through this book.

-MM

Pawn of Prophecy by David Eddings.

It's fiction novel, and it began my love for epic fantasy novels.