1988 Chevy Silverado 305, 5.0L TBI. starving for power at all rev range?

Okay, if you could please find my prev questions on my pickup truck<<<so that you might get a full fill of my troubles and updates. thanks people.

I have now CHECKED the following!

Fuel pressure, Vacum leaks, Throttle postion sensor, temp sensor, OBD1, ERG valve, Timming, and pretty much everything else! nothing was found to be troubled with any of the prev<<<

My truck still feels very sluggish and stranned at most all rev ranges, and seems to hold gears long, this happened over night about a month ago and my "service engine soon" light comes on intermittenly, i can have the accelerator floored and still be comming up to about 25-35mph, my transmission does not slip, but is does kick shift once in a while and i beleve it's due to the engine running incorrectly i don't understand or know what the HELL to do anymore.

Ask me questions i will reply @ "ADD DETAILS"

Thanks,

"JOe

Found: running lean, O2 sensor was replaced and same trouble continues... 0pen loop is ongoing...Fuel filter was found clogged and replaced... transmission was "flushed only" no filter change...had never been done...

Truck mileage:105,350... always maintained and garaged from off dealer lot in 1988...never had trouble until now...

Will compression test in the morning, thanks "RED"

Best Answer

new fuel filter?

spark plug wire connections tight/ distributor tight

had an 88 caprice 305 - sweet ride

This really is not an answer but my chevy 1500 1988 350 is doing the same thing i changed the fuel filter and pump replaced vac. Lines cleaned tbi and the injectors new plugs n wires and it still runs like crap rebuolt tranny i floor the peddle n it takes about two miles to reach 45¿;

If your fuel filter was plugged up then you need to pull the fuel tank out to look for dirt in the tank. For a truck with the fuel pump in the tank, you probably have a plastic screen over the tube going to the fuel pump. The fuel pump has to be removed to see this screen. If the screen is also clogged with dirt, your truck would be starving for gas at just about any speed. Put a new screen on if you do pull the tank out.

Did you ever think that the engine may be worn out?That is it lacks in compression.You will need to have both a wet and dry compression test done on the cylinders.A lack of compression can be caused by poor valve seating, carbon built up around valve seats, and or piston rings worn out.Both of these problems can be at the same time.Especially if this vehicle has high mileage.A sure sign will be blue smoke at all times when engine is running.

• kaiser

i think of your headed in the main superb course. The throttle sensor can try this as nicely because of the fact the gas pump. there is likewise a air bypass sensor which will reason this. sturdy success. If it replace into between the sensors there must be a code in the laptop and because you haven't any longer got here upon one it rather is a sturdy wager that it is the gas pump.

on the firewall there is a fuel pump relay...mine was running very rough,and running very rich....even smoking....replaced all the sensors and it was still running rough....but come to find out, it was the cheapest of all the parts i replaced......also anytime you do work on computerized chevys...you got to reset the computer....pull the ecm fuse and disconnect the neg battery terminal

You might want to monitor you vacuum while driving and see how much vacuum it generate. compression test is good to do too. How about your exhaust? Is it flowing well? No back pressure?

I would check the computer itself, sometimes they go bad and set off weird lights, sometimes they just run bad.

have you checked fuel injectors, clean throtle body ?