Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 decade ago

can somebody recommend a good book for me?

i don't care what the genre is, as long as you think it's good just tell me please .

thank you for your help :)

Best Answer

For thriller, check out:

Silence of the Lambs by Thomas Harris (what the other dude said)

Misery by Stephen King

The Bone Collector by Jeffery Deaver

Edgar Allan Poe Collection (Tell-Tail Hearts, Raven)

For Action:

Stormbreaker by Anthony Horowitz

Ice Station by Matthew Reilly

For Coming-of-Age books:

Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger

Looking for Alibrandi by Melina Marchetta

The Body by Stephen King

For Classics:

Dracula by Bram Stroker

Around the World in 80 Days by Jules Verne

Phantom by Susan Kay

Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe by C. S. Lewis

Lord of the Rings Trilogy by J. R. R. Tolkein

Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

Girl with a Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier

The Godfather by Mario Puzo

Great expectations by Charles Dickens

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens

For Fantasy:

Wheel Of Time series by Robert Jordan

Golden Compass by Phillip Pullman (being produced into a movie)

Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb

For Drama:

Power of One by Bryce Courtenay

Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden

Cold Mountain by CHarles Frazier

The Horse Whisperer by Nicholas Evans

For Horror

It by Stephen King

The Shining by Stephen King

Other:

DaVinci Code by Dan Brown

A Series of Unfortunate Events books by Lemony Sncket

Boy by Roald Dahl

Source(s): My Large Library...

1. The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini is one of the best I've read recently. Has themes of friendship, family, betrayal and is beautifully written, very thought-provoking.

2. Any book by Haruki Murakami is worth reading in my opinion, particularly the Windup Bird Chronicle and Norwegian Wood.

3. For something more scientific but nonetheless easy enough to digest, Stephen Hawking's A Brief History of Time is a classic. Richard Feynman is also immensely enjoyable in Surely You're Joking Mr Feynman.

Stephen King - The Dark Tower

- its a series stephen king spent more than 20 years writing. its a set of 7 books, start off with "The Gunslinger" if you want to get into it. i rarely read books but a friend got me into the first one and from there i couldnt stop reading. Amazing books.

John Grisham - The Innocent Man

- true story about a man put in prison for a murder he did not commit. Very interesting if you like this type of stuff.

Stephen Hawking - Universe In A Nutshell

- very educational book about space/time and all that jazz. Well written so even the least bright people (like me!) can grasp his explanations of physics and such.

Source(s): Myself

Life Expectancy, Dean Koontz

Guardian, John Saul

Cell, Stephen King

Time Enough For Love by Robert Heinlein, The Good War by Studs Terkel, Deadeye **** by Kurt Vonnegut, Firefly by Piers Anthony, The Chancellor Manuscript by Robert Ludlum, Without Remorse by Tom Clancy, Floaters by Joseph Waumbaugh These are all good reads that sit quietly on the shelves.

The best unisex books i have read have to be Eragon and Eldest (first two books of a trilogy- the last one isn't out yet) and the Artemis Fowl Series (5 books- and counting). I like mystery and adventure, and these are great. I am 13, but these are books for older people. They have language and a plot suitable for a young adult (as you can see, i read books far above my age group). Also inkheart and inkspell, Da Vinci Code. Alex Rider series for a teen.

I teach Jr. High, so I not only read "grown-up" books, but I try to keep up with young adult fiction as well. Right now, I'm reading a young adult book titled "Life As We Knew It" and it is freaking me out and scaring the bejeezes out of me. I LOVE that in a book.....LOL It is a new book by Susan Pfeffer and lots of students and teachers at our school are reading it right now. It's kind of an "end of the world", survival story told through the journal of a 16 year old girl. Very intense and good story. Can't tell you how it turns out 'cause I'm only on page 207. I'm probably get in bed later and finish it tonight.

I saw that someone else recommended Joe Hill's A Heart-Shaped Box. It was a great page-turner. I couldn't put it down. Another great book, if you're looking for a thriller is Ghosts by Noel Hynd. For murder mysteries, I've recently discovered Val McDermid. Her book A Place of Execution was great and I'm currently reading The Torment of Others. It's proving to be hard to put down. Happy reading!

Indiana Jones and The Seven Veils by Rob MacGregor

Thinner by Stephen King

Indiana Jones and the Unicorn`s Legacy by Rob Mac Gregor

The 2 best books I have read in the last few months are;

Wild Fire by Nelson DeMille

The Collectors by David Baldacci

and I just finished The Heart Shaped Box by Joe Hill who is Stephen King's oldest son. For his first novel I thought it was great but I'd list it under Terror.