How can I keep insects from eating my Hostas?

Every year my Hostas come up thick and healthy. But somewhere around mid-summer small holes start to appear in the leaves. By late summer they look absolutely chewed up. I have no idea what's eating them, but I'm certain it must be an insect. Can anyone offer some advice on keeping them healthy and bug-free all season?

Favorite Answer

slugs are absolutely nutso over hostas...I recommend a slug-b-gone product from any home improvement store or garden center.....

• Robert

it's best to save ur egg shells and crush them in a bag or just do it in ur hands ....do this over each plant before new growth appears or as it starts to grow! the new plant growth will cover the wierd looking white egg shell pieces as it grows and snails can't stand crawling over egg shells! trust me, i have the same problem and i've tried this already this year with all the warm weather and it's been so effective that i hardly see ne snails in the garden at night and if i do it's usually far away from the hostas! good luck! remember......save ur egg shells

Slugs love hostas. Fill a pie tin with beer and place a few near your hostas. The slugs are attracted to it and drown.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/reallywild/amazing/ima...

http://www.hat.net/album/north_america/canada/brit...

Source(s): LIFE
  • ?

Its slugs, butterflies and caterpillars, but mainly slugs, scatter repellent about.

its probably slugs.. try slug bait see if that helps

Source(s): hahaha i tried beer once and found hubby outside on his hands and knees sucking it up! :P