Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 1 decade ago

Can anyone explaine what kind of ammo this is Fiocchi 7.62 Nagant FMJ.?

I've seen it in my Gov't Surplus Head Quarters catalog there website is www.sportsmansguide.com. I would appericate any info about this ammo. I've asked a few different people but nobody can tell me what it is. It looks weard compared to standerd ammo and I just wanted to know what it was used for.Thank you...

Best Answer

7.62x38R (also known as 7.62 Nagant and Cartridge, Type R) is a unique ammunition cartridge designed for use in the Russian Nagant M1895 revolver.

The projectile is seated below the mouth of the cartridge, with the cartridge crimp sitting just above the bullet. When fired in the Nagant revolver, the crimp expands into the forcing cone, completing the gas-seal and ostensibly increasing muzzle velocity by approximately 75 ft/s.

The 7.62mm calibre was chosen, in part, to simplify the tooling used in barrel making and manufacture or projectiles—the Russian service rifle of the time—the Mosin Nagant M91 featured an identical bore diameter, being chambered for the 7.62x54R rifle cartridge.

Commercially manufactured and loaded 7.62x38R cartridges are extremely difficult to find. Fiocchi of Italy manufactures cartridges in this chambering; they fire 98gr. FMJ bullets at about 850 ft/s (260 m/s), which works out to an energy of 157 ft·lbf (213 joules)—comparable to a .32 ACP semi-automatic. There are rumors that Wolf will introduce this calibre sometime in 2007.

Most commercially loaded ammunition for the Nagant, including Fiocchi and the "CCCP"-marked yellow box imports, are target ammunition, and do not have great stopping power. The low power of these rounds has given the Nagant a reputation as an underpowered sidearm. However, the original military ball cartridges fired bullets in the 100 grain range at up to 1,100 ft/s, making them close to the .32-20 and .32 H&R Magnum in power. These original military ball rounds are very hard to find and are considered collector's items.

One advantage of the round, if proper brass can be found, is that it leaves the chambers totally clean, and there is no need to scrape lead and powder residue out.

Source(s): Wikipedia

THe 7,62 Nagant is a special round specifically for the Russian Nagant revolver. This revolver, when the trigger is pulled on firing, pushes the cylinder forward against the back of the barrel, forming a gas seal between the cartridge case and the forcing cone of the barrel.

As far as I know, no other weapon was chambered for this oddball round.

Source(s): Personal knowledge, firearms owner, including Class 3 full-auto weapons AND SUPPRESSORS, marksman(EXPERT-USMC) and reloader. JOIM NRA &GOA AND PROTECT YOUR 2ND AMENDMENT RIGHTS, INCLUDING OWNING FULL-AUTOS AND SUPRESSORS! ! !
  • DJ

You are correct, it is weird ammo.

Just curious, how expensive is it? I have a Russian 1931 Nagant revolver but have never shot it. Going price for that Fiocchi 7.62n is about $40/box.

It's pistol ammo designed for one pistol, the Russian M1895 Nagant revolver.

http://www.russianwarrior.com/STMMain.htm?1890weap...

Source(s): I own several, they're intersting pistols mechanically speaking, but overall they're junk.

its for 30 cals. like the sks or ak's. should hold about 130-160 gain if you get a decent brand bullet.

7.62X30mm