Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthGeneral Health CarePain & Pain Management · 1 decade ago

I have a sore throat, pain while swallowing, and it hurts to turn my neck?

Ok so heres the thing, im pregnant right now about 5 months, and a couple of days ago out of nowhere i got the worst sore throat ever. It hurts really bad when i swallow, and right underneith my chin by my glands it hurts to bad to even touch the area, im having trouble turning my head, cause the area on both sides of my neck down from my ears hurts so bad, it feels like its bruised, and also i have pain in my ears. I had my tonsils takin out when i was 9, so it cant be tonsilitis or anything, and i think that rules out strep throat right. Im coughing a lot, but i dont have trouble breathing or a runny nose or eyes, and im not coughing up flem really or anything, its mostly a dry cough that hurts pretty bad, and so i have no idea what it could be. I didnt want to go to the doctor yet, unless it might be something serious, and i cant take much throat medicine cause im pregnant. Im in a lot of pain and completely miserable, i dont even want to eat cause it hurts so bad to swallow, help.

Best Answer

If you can't touch your chin to your chest and you have a fever get in to emergency now. This is a sign of meningitis, and it is very serious (life & death)

Your immune system is lowered when you are pregnant to protect the baby, but it means (a) you pick up everything and (b) it takes longer to get rid of.

Many medications are safe, especially in your 5th month. There are antibiotics that have been assessed as safe and a singe dose of most over the counter cold products are safe. Just check with the pharmacist and/or your primary care provider.

You can get tonsilittis after you have had them out. They do grow back (I had mine out at 13 and almost had a fit when I was diagnosed with tonsilitis 10 years later).

You may want to see your dr in case it needs to be treated. Check out the book "What to expect when you're expecting" for some great ideas.

Also the Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto Canada has a great page for info on what is safe/not safe when pregnant.

It is www.motherisk.org

Good luck!

Sue

• riopel

Sore Throat Hurts To Swallow

• stair

Neck And Throat Pain

IF YOU DON'T READ ANOTHER RESPONSE, READ THIS!!! SOME OF YOUR SYMPTOMS ARE VERY SERIOUS!!! YOU NEED TO SEEK IMMEDIATE MEDICAL ATTENTION!!! It could be nothing more than a nasty infection, but even if that is the problem, you need medical care... Go see a doctor right now. It could be much worse, but even at the very least, you probably have an infection that needs medical treatment... I was a medic in the Army, I have a daughter of my own, and this is nothing to wait around about. Go to a doctor, or even an emergency room if that's what you have to do. Please.

Source(s): If nothing else, this is no time to be starving, it's not good, please see a doctor.

You must go to the doctor tomorrow. It does sound like strep throat. Yes you can still get it with no tonsils. Look with a mirror, is it red and any white patches? You do not have to have the white patches. If it is strep you will need treatment asap! As you are pregnant and your throat is hurting as bad as it is and you are having trouble turning your head from pain, it is something your Doctor needs to check out. For yourself and your baby. Feel better soon!

having your tonsils out does not rule out strep throat, i've had that more since my tonsils were taken out. you could still have something sinus going on draining down into your throat...you should call your OBGYN tomorrow and tell them what's going on regardless and really find out the cause!!!

take care!!! the only thing i know you can safely take while pregnant is tylenol for the pain...and gargle with warm salt water (that can help too)

I had the same thing happening to me, and I waited to go to the doctor and ended up with a pretty severe case of strep throat that I had to get two antibiotics for because it didn't respond to the first one. I'm still not recovered from it. I don't know if you can get strep without your tonsils, I don't think you can, but whatever it is, go to the doctor before it gets much worse. I was going to wait it out and see if it would go away on it's own and ended completely down in bed, I missed 5 days of work and I'm on 4 medications now. You're not supposed to take much medication when you're pregnant, but seeing a doctor first is what's best for you before it gets serious.

Besides that, suck on some ice cubes and gargle with salt water. Ice cubes really helped my sore throat and made it less painful to swallow. Eat some ice cream and just relax until you cant see your doctor. Good luck, I know what you're going through.

sore neck, sore throat... to assume the worst, look out for meningitis, it kills, but ususally within 24 hours, so if your still alive its not likely that serious

• sticky

As others have stated, you obviously need to see a doctor, especially because you are pregnant. Funny as it sounds, I have had 'tonsilitis' since having mine out. The remaining stumps can become inflamed and it sends your glands up too. My dad's tonsils even grew back completely. See a doc to be on the safe side.

this is a home remedy, i didn't read all the details of your question, heat a lemonade on a hot water or anything that can heat it, afterwards open it, take its juice and drink it (pure) then mixed it with some rock salt...