burton68 asked in SportsMartial Arts · 1 decade ago

Who do you think Diego Sanchez will fight next?

Has anyone heard any rumours regarding Sanchez?

Favorite Answer

Matt Hughes has been pretty much told he will fight Serra for the Welterweight title.

Diego will probably fight Fitch (hopefully Fitch's first televised fight). If those two don't fight I could see Sanchez being matched up against Hironaka, Fickett, or maybe Marcus Davis. But Fitch would be the best fight.

He isn't going to move down to Lightweight either. Hughes, GSP, Sanchez, Fitch, and Koscheck are all top Welterweights who couldn't make the 155 lb. division. They are big Welterweights as it is.

Within the next couple of months I can see some more possible matchups with other fighters moving down in weight. Martin Kampmann will probably move down if he loses to Rich Franklin at UFC 72 and I think Mike Swick is also moving down.

Matt Hughes mentioned after losing his belt that he has a contract for a REMATCH against George St. Pierre for the Welterweight Championship. Well I don't know the details of Matt's contract, but I'm beginning to believe that his contract has only guaranteed him a rematch for the Welterweight Championship, not necessarily a grudge match against George. Although we are most certainly going to see a rubber match between Hughes and St. Pierre sometime in the future, it has already been anounced that Matt Hughes and Matt Serra are going to be the two coaches of Ultimate Fighter Season Six. As tradition usually goes, Matt Hughes will probably challenge Matt Serra at the end of the show for the Welterweight Championship(if he still has it). With St. Pierre out of that scenario right there, I could easily see him having a fight very soon with Diego Sanchez.

I think that would be one of the best fights in a long time, both George AND Diego are two highly skilled young prospects. I've got George St. Pierre winning that fight by knockout, though.

To be completely honest, I would love to see Diego Sanchez fight Matt Hughes. Koschek is obviously going to be the next to get a title shot, unless they make him go through GSP first. Either way, I'd like to see Diego fight Hughes, and watch Hughes light him up. I never was a big fan of Diego.

Apparently Mike Swick is moving down to welterweight, and he'd be a great match up for Diego. He'll probably end up fighting the loser of Kos/GSP or the loser of Hughes/Serra, as the UFC will want to have him fight another top WW.

I would love to see a rematch with Karo, I think Karo will take it this time, or maybe a match-up with Jon Fitch or Jeff Joslin, I would hate to see him get a bunch of cans just to build him back up.

I would like to see a rematch with Josh

• Thomas

He may go down to Lightweight division

I never liked him much at all, i hope he quits.