Would you donate to a cause you don't believe in?

My cousin is doing a bike ride for diabetes here soon, and she is asking for donations (it's pretty much like the Avon walk for cancer, except you're on a bike for diabetes). I am a medical student, and I personally do not believe in a cure for diabetes. I do not think that it can be cured, only managed. There are plenty of diseases out there that are treatable and managable, and some of them are curable. I don't think that diabetes is one of them.

Because of this, I do not see the point in pouring money into a fruitless campaign when we really should be using that money to come up with better treatments.

However, I do support my cousin in *her* beliefs and her dedication to them.

I'm not looking for a debate over whether diabetes is curable or not, I just want opinions. Would you donate money to a cause you didn't believe in if it was for someone that you support?

Favorite Answer

Is the bike ride for the cure of diabetes? It might be to help those who have diabetes and don't have the money for treatments like dialysis or medicine.

And I do agree with you, diabetes is managed not cure and there are other curable diseases, that can use the money. The thing is, Do you rather be right than happy?

I feel that supporting your cousin will make you feel good because yo admire your cousin's dedication, so put aside your rightness and support her not her cause

To answer your question, I would not donate to a cause I don't believe in. In this case, I can understand what you mean when you say you don't think a cure will be found. However, better treatments can be found through research. I recently became type II diabetic and control; it through medication. My sister is type I and insulin dependent. During the education class that I took, we learned that there was a new inhaler for insulin that was about to hit the market (it may be available now....I'm not sure). This would be so much easier for a diabetic to use than to give themselves injections. If it was not for research and funding for such research this would not be possible.

No debate, hmmmm? That's hard to honor, but okay.

Yes, I would donate money for a cause I don't believe in.

Why? Because the people in these situations need HOPE, or they cannot cope. It would be a kindness to boost their hope by helping to raise money for research for a cure.

And who knows? Maybe there is future technology that CAN offer a cure, or at least more effective ways to live with it for longer.

Source(s): personal viewpoint

Maybe you don't think diabetes can be cured, but it looks like someone does.

I'm just presenting some facts.

I would, even if I don't believe in it. That is to show my support for the person. =)

Anything helps faith is key.