Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentImmigration · 1 decade ago

if my father was born in Poland, does that mean i have dual citizenship?

Best Answer

Yes.

The U.S. government allows dual citizenship. United States law recognizes dual citizenship, but the U.S. government does not encourage it is as a matter of policy due to the problems that may arise from it. It is important to understand that a foreign citizen does NOT lose his or her citizenship when becoming a U.S. citizen. An individual that becomes a U.S. citizen through naturalization may keep his or her original citizenship. However, as some countries do not recognize dual citizenship, it is important to consider it carefully before applying for U.S. citizenship.

Dual citizenship is a complex issue and it is important that you understand that there also obligations and not only benefits that comes with being a dual citizen. Being a citizen of two countries means that you need to obey the laws of both countries, including paying taxes and serving in the military (if required by any of the countries).

Polish law does not recognize dual citizenship of its citizens. Polish law does not forbid Polish citizens from becoming the citizen of a foreign country by birth or naturalization, Polish government shall recognize that person as a Polish citizen only.**

I think so. Both of my parents were born in Poland, and I have dual citizenship. It might depend on where you live though.

The best way to find out would be to ask your dad. I didn't even know I had a dual citizenship up until a while ago.

Well, yes and no. If you are an American, the government here considers you American, but if you went to Poland, based on the fact that one of your parents is a Polish citizen you can receive a Polish passport etc.

Source(s): me- Polish/American- been in US 15 years.

No, but you can apply for it.

My mother was born in France and I can apply for dual citizenship.

• Greg L

Only if he is a citizen of Poland

Only if you were born there.

Where were you born?

nope. you have to apply for it.

no it doesnt