Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelUnited StatesOther - United States · 1 decade ago

I am going to Alaska this summer?

What is the one thing.. that I must see or do to make my trip a fabulous one?

We are driving and camping...

• Arthur
    Best Answer

I'm the one non-commercial person here who has "Been there-done that".

First you should be on your way "Right Now". This time last year, my wife and I were around Dawson Creek, headed North.

First you should have already purchased a copy of "The Mile Post". No one in Alaska travels without it. You may purchase it at www.milepost.com or most RV supply stores. We purchased ours at Amazon.com since it was half price. This book will be your bible, all your planning can be done from this book. Carry a highlighter for marking spots you want to see.

You won't need a lot of campgrounds, just use the pullouts and rest stops. unless posted "No Camping". Most fuel stops in Canada and Alaska have dump stations and water fills. One campground I highly recommend is the Homestead in Palmer.

Drive the Alaskan Highway, stop and see as many sites you want. Everything to see is in the Mile Post along with the milemarker it's at. Take plenty of film or memory cards if you're digital. The first Safeway store you see, run inside and purchase the "Alaskan Tour Saver Coupon Book" or go online and purchase it there. Try www.toursaver.com.

This tour saver book will be filled with two for one coupons, such as two cruises for the price of one on the Riverboat Discovery in Fairbanks. Don't miss this or the Eldorado Gold Mine either, again 2-4-1. The University of Alaska Fairbanks has a wonderful museum along with Musk Ok. A good campground near Fairbanks is Santaland RV Park in North Pole and Pioneer Park in downtown Fairbanks. Kids will love Santaland since Santa Claus lives here and his work shop is right next door along with reindeer.

Denali is a don't you dare miss. We camped in Telkanika Campground, which is 29 miles into the park, farther than anyone can drive a car. You purchase bus tickets and catch the bus at the campground and ride as many times as you want. The bus goes over 100 miles into the park with many stops along the way. You will see more moose, caribou, bears, Dall Sheep, you name it you'll see it here.

In Anchorage is an Indian Heritage Museum at the Muldoon Road exit of the Parks Highway you shouldn't miss. There was a campground across the road called the Anchorage RV Park last year. Take the tour trolley downtown for all the sights you might want to go back to. If you missed the Musk Ox at Fairbanks, not to worry, there's a Musk Ox farm and a Reindeer farm in Palmer.

Drive out Turnagain Arm towards The Kenai Penisular. Drive to Seward, park in the city campground on Resurection Bay, right on the water. There are several good glacier cruises out of here. On the way out stop at Exit Glacier and walk right up to it. We skipped the rest of the Kenai for reasons we couldn't control.

Driving back to Anchorage, stop at Portage and take the glacier boat. At Gridwood, drive up to Alyeska and take the tram ride up to the top of the mountain for lunch.

Driving out the Glenn Highway from Anchorage is a glacier at mile 102. This is a good stop for lunch. Don't waste the money for a tour here as there are to many free glacier walks. We spent the night in a rest stop at mile 152 then continued on to Valdez. Here is the best glacier cruise in Alaska. Take the longest cruise since you will see more amd they feed you. This is also a 2-4-1 out of your book. Halibut fishing is fantastic here. On the way to Valdez is the Worthington Glacier, a free walk to it.

Don't pass through Tok, stop at the Sourdough Campground for the nightly entertainment and pancake beakfast. From Tok, drive up to Chicken, if you didn't drive the Top of the World Highway. Everyone should experiance Chicken. When you leave, you'll say "why did I drive up here". Stop by the creek on the way out for a picnic lunch.

I could go on and on but you will have more fun planning the trip yourself. Go to www.alaska.com and surf from there. Get on everyones mailing list. There will be many things coming in you won't want but there will be some good deals.

On your way back to the states, stop in Ft. Macleod for the RCMP museum and drive over to Head Smash In Buffalo Jump. If my wife enjoyed this, everyone will. Go on Wednesday when the dancers are in.

On your way up stop at Lewis and Clark Campground in Shelby, Montana and talk to the owner, he's the most knowledgeble person on traveling the Alaskan Highway.

Enjoy.

Source(s): Fulltime RVer Alaskan traveler

Make certain that you visit the Kenai Peninsula. It's a beautiful area, great salmon fishing, and at the end of it is the pretty town of Homer. The Homer spit extends out into Katchimack Bay, so blue and lovely, with snow-covered mountains on the other side of the bay. There is a restaurant called Land's End at the very tip of the spit, with windows viewing the bay. You can eat clam chowder, halibut, etc. while you watch fishing boats and otters, whales and other native species out in the bay. There are bald eagles everywhere, a memorial to fishermen lost at

sea, loads of fishing boats and, of course, the usual little shops. Not to be missed is a great little place called The Salty Dawg. It's small and rough-hewn, but people come there from all over the world. The walls and even the ceiling are covered with dollar bills, shirts, undies, etc. that people have written messages on and pinned up. There is a shirt with a picture of a young firefighter who lost his life on 9-11. If I remember correctly, he had always wanted to come to Alaska, so his buddies put the shirt up so he could be there in spirit. If you drive up the hills just above the little town, it's so pretty to look down across the fields of fire weed and other wildflowers, to the spit, the bay and the snow-covered mountains --- an absolutely beautiful view. It's also fun to just drive along those streets in the hills and see the moose roaming through the yards of the houses.

Oh, I envy you this trip. Since you'll be driving, be sure to watch for moose. They really do just mosey out onto the road and they're big. Have a wonderful time!

If this is your one big trip to Alaska, you might want to consider a flight out to Nome and Kotzebue. Nome was the heart of the gold rush, and Kotzebue is the gateway to some of the most beautiful bush country in Alaska. There are a number of small charter outfits in both Nome and Kotzebue that will provide sight seeing and transportation flights. Out of Kotzebue, for example, the Kobuk Valley is beautiful and you could stop at the small, delightful village of Kiana. Remember, these are ACTUAL remote Eskimo villages and have few tourist facilities. For some that might be a reason not to go, for me its why I lived there.

Well, Arthur's insight into the RV thing is helpful, but the "commercial" shot at some of us??? I LIVE here!

It is my home, and has been for almost 40 years. My job is to see that visitors such as yourselves, have a great time while visiting our great state. It is probably why I have won the Governor's Golden Heart Award 5 separate times; and a host of other local awards. I have traveled (driven) the Alaska Highway 1377 times and will be starting 1378 on June 1st with a tour group I am hosting (I am a Tour Director/Driver- Guide) starting in Minneapolis, Minnesota.

OK, now that my "Commercial Credentials" are in order...

There are two items in particular that Arthur mentions that are worthy of note; The Milepost, and The Great Alaska Tour Saver (started by my friend Scott McMurren).

The Milepost is indeed the most recognized travel guide to, and around Alaska. No self respecting Alaskan would be caught without one on the dash board. It is not the only guide. Bell's guides are very good also, more condensed, they don't have all the history notes of the Milepost, but they are free, and can be found in most service locations across the Alaska Highway Route.

The Great Alaska Tour Saver, is what was described; it is a way for you to enjoy Alaska, by experiencing Alaska, by touch, sight, smell, and taste!

You also have some other good ideas from previous folks who have posted a response to your question.

There are many, many places you won't want to miss. I am going to include a number of web sites for you to browse so you can start the planning process.

Take the time to check into all of them. Each destination has been travel tested. I recommend many of them because I use them personally with my family when we have a short break during the spring and fall. They are our hang outs.

Anchorage is the metro-plex of Alaska; the largest city by far (nearly 270,000 people). There are many sites in and around Anchorage you will want to visit such as: The Anchorage Museum of History and Art; the Alaska Native Heritage Center; The Alaska Aviation Museum, and the list goes on. Within the Anchorage Municipality, is Girdwood.

Girdwood is our largest resort township; the largest ski resort is found here, Alyeska. Don't miss the Kobuk Valley Jade Company!

Talkeetna Alaska is a quaint village dating back into the turn of the century. It is the southern gateway to Denali, and worthy of a drop by and have a look see. After all, where else can you find the Moose Dropping festival (I wonder why Arthur didn't mention this event?).

Seward is a great trip down onto the Kenai Peninsula, along with Homer, definitely neither are to be missed. Seward is home to the Alaska SeaLife Center, and Homer, well, Homer is the Spit and the Salty Dog! Both cities are great for sightseeing, or fishing. If fishing is on the menu, (here comes the "commercial"), my family owns a charter boat in Homer, and we can arrange 1/2 day or full day trips for halibut, salmon, cod, or ???

Denali, the "High One". Mt. McKinley, the tallest mountain in North America; the National Park that surrounds the mountain is remarkable (I'll let you surf the listed web sites to help plan ahead). I prefer to stay outside the Park, and use the shuttles, or the tours to get into the park, that way lessening the human footprint on the park itself. All tours and services in Denali, are operated by a sanctioned vendor; Denali Park Resorts. I have included their web site for you to see.

Fairbanks, the Golden Heart of Alaska's Interior. It is the second largest city in Alaska (about 70,000 people), and gives one the feeling of the old west. With a past rich in Gold Rush Lore, Fairbanks is one of my favorite places. The University of Alaska Museum of the North, The Riverboat Discovery, El Dorado Gold Mine, Gold Dredge Number 8, and The Alaska Salmon Bake at Pioneer Park are not to be missed.

The largest National Park in the United States, as well as the largest United Nations World Heritage Site (UNESCO), belongs to Wrangell-St. Elias National Park. Here you will find Alaska! The Kennicott Mine, the town of McCarthy, and Chitna, all near the Copper River! The history is alive and well preserved here!

Valdez. The little Switzerland of Alaska, and terminus of the Trans-Alaska Pipeline! Great spot to take a cruise through Prince William Sound.

The Alaska Highway. The grandest of travel adventures. 1422 miles of... well... mile after mile of, mile after mile. You travel through some absolutely incredible places such as: Steamboat, Indian Head, Munch lake, Stone Mountain Provincial Park, Watson Lake, Rancheria, Teslin, Whitehorse, Kluane... There is virtually a never ending list.

And just slightly off the beaten path is Dawson City, the heart of the Klondike!

My oh my; truly I could go on and on... but you have a good start, with all participants. The key is to read ahead, and know before you go!

Welcome to the great adventure!

Ho for the Klondike!

Camai!

Hi,

If you are looking for a free download of Big City Adventure San Francisco you can check here: http://bit.ly/1qXDftP

it's a perfectly working link, no scam!

While the characters are not the most remarkable part of the game, the graphics and the interface are some of the features that the players usually like of this game.

It's surely the leader game of its type.

• Steve

blah blah blah those were some long winded answers.

1) Get The Milepost.

2) Plan your trip / see what interests you.

3) If you are going to be travelling in SE Alaska budget for the expensive ferry tickets and make reservations ahead of time.

4) Go to the library and read through recent issues of ALASKA magazine. For that matter go to www.alaskamagazine.com and read the article "Here’s how you plan a true road trip: Don’t. "

5) I don't work for Alaska magazine (publishers of The Milepost)

I am so gonna get flamed for this. But go to the North Pole (It's up by Fairbanks) and See Santa.

my old friend owns a catfish farm in nebraska just google catfish farms in nebraska

eat some great seafood