What should I charge for private math tutoring?

I've done some research, and I'm seeing that the fee depends largely on the situation. I'd like to share mine and hopefully get some feedback from teachers/parents. I just finished my 3rd year in college as a math major. I have 80 hours of experience as a volunteer one-on-one high school math tutor,... show more I've done some research, and I'm seeing that the fee depends largely on the situation. I'd like to share mine and hopefully get some feedback from teachers/parents. I just finished my 3rd year in college as a math major. I have 80 hours of experience as a volunteer one-on-one high school math tutor, but I never worked with any of them in a private setting, so I've never charged a fee. Last week, a lady I met asked me to tutor her two kids (whom I don't know, high school age, nearly failing math) at their house (which is a 30 minute drive for me). I'm interested in doing this, but I told her that, because of the drive (gas prices!), I would want significant compensation, and that somebody closer might be cheaper. She responded that she really wanted me to do it because I had impressed her, and that I can name my own price. I'd appreciate some estimates from people. These two will be my first private students, so I don't want to overcharge, but I do want good pay for the effort.
22 answers 22