Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkVegetarian & Vegan · 1 decade ago

Vegetarian nutrition?

I want to be a vegetarian, but my dad won't let me unless I prove to him that I can still be perfectly healthy. Does anyone know any good information sources that aren't from vegetarian websites (he thinks they're biased)

Favorite Answer

Eating vegetarian does not equal malnutrition. I use the website below to measure multiple things in my foods or recipes. Register on the website first, then, add all your ingredients to the "pantry" that are in your recipe, then adjust the amounts (cup, spoon, ounce, etc). Once you have this, hit the "analyze" button! It will show you what all is there, what is low or missing. You can then adapt your recipe, or have a contrasting meal the next time... shows proteins, cals, fats, but also minerals and other vital information on the foods.

See a doctor or dietician first, have them write down how "much" protein in grams you should aim for, how many fats, how many carbs...thus, your dad will see that you are not just guessing.

Does he ever prove to you how healthy he is? >:o/

Source(s): www.nutritiondata.com

This is a non vegetarian site here are a few good quotes you can tell your dad

People who follow vegetarian diets also often lead healthy lifestyles. They tend to include regular physical activity in their lives, to be non-smokers and to consume less alcohol.

Well-planned vegetarian diets are rich in Vitamin C, Vitamin E and Beta-carotene which act as antioxidants. Antioxidants play a role in staying healthy and possibly, in disease prevention. Vegetarian diets are also high in folic acid (another B vitamin), fibre and phytochemicals (plant compounds with biological activity that may have health benefits). These may help protect against certain cancers

there are store's around that are for people that are vegetarian they can answer anything your dad should call and talk to them.Me and my kids 8, 5 and 2 are vegetarian and it's much better for you the veg burgers the fake meat has almost the same protein as regular meat and find the right one for you the one we eat is good you just have to keep trying to find the right one i am overweight and since i have changed i have lost 5 pounds and i fill great more energy just over all just great and my kids are doing better so tell your dad that he should let you try and if he still thinks it's bad then he can put a stop to it tell him in life your going to have to let me take chances.it is way better for you maybe your dad can become a vegetarian with you.

“It is the position of the American Dietetic Association and Dietitians of Canada that appropriately planned vegetarian diets are healthful, nutritionally adequate and provide health benefits in the prevention and treatment of certain diseases.”

“Well-planned vegan and other types of vegetarian diets are appropriate for all stages of the life cycle, including during pregnancy, lactation, infancy, childhood and adolescence. Vegetarian diets offer a number of nutritional benefits, including lower levels of saturated fat, cholesterol, and animal protein as well as higher levels of carbohydrates, fiber, magnesium, potassium, folate, and antioxidants such as vitamins C and E and phytochemicals. Vegetarians have been reported to have lower body mass indices than nonvegetarians, as well as lower rates of death from ischemic heart disease; vegetarians also show lower blood cholesterol levels; lower blood pressure; and lower rates of hypertension, type 2 diabetes, and prostate and colon cancer.“

-ADA’s and Dietitians of Canada position on Vegetarian and Vegan diets

The only things you need to worry about possible lacking are:

Vitamin B12

Iron

and Protein

Other than that, everything else you should get from your regular diet (anything non-meat).