Why do Sikhs carry knife(s)?

I have seen many sikhs carrying knives, openly. I do not quite understand why. Would someone please explain. thanks.

Favorite Answer

It is part of our religion. Our religion thrived in the mughal era when there were mughals(muslims) inflicting untold miseries on the people of other faiths and our Guruji infused in us a sense of valour and by imparting Amrit (holy water) turned ordinary people with such faith that they could fight the mighty mughals who were trained in martial arts. The knife or dagger you mention is called KIRPAN and is one of the five mandatory items alongwith KESH i.e. unshorn hair(which we cover with a turban) to be kept by the faithful. Kirpan was for self defence or defence of the weak......I hope you are as serious in knowing the reason as I am in answering...and it is no idle query..

• TK421

It is part of their religion, as symbol, the same as the purple turbin is...

They can't afford guns