zingis
zingis asked in Arts & HumanitiesTheatre & Acting · 1 decade ago

Who would play a better Hamlet? Jean-Claude Van Damme, Arnold Schwarzenegger or Sly Stallone?

Forsooth, why hast thou chosen so?

Favorite Answer

If I were limited to only these three then the answer is obvious.

Jean-Claude is limited too martial arts action films. His carreer appears to be over. His last several films were not very good and were financial failures. Arnold esentially plays himself in every role. He realised he was running out of roles and switched to politics.

If Sly Stallone would agree to being only an actor in the production and also to submit to a skilled director then he is the only actor of these three who could do the role.

Sly has proved that he is more than Rambo. The first and last Rockys were very well done with the first Rocky obviously an incredible performance with great depth of acting presense.

Source(s): I taught stage acting in college. I have both directed and had lead roles in collegiate and professional productions. One of my young first time actors whom I directed in his first stage production went on to become a star in several films and TV melodramas.

I agree with Milaroo. As for the others, Van Damme was a kick boxing champ in Europe, he himself admits he is old and out of shape. Arnold is nothing but a weightlifter, and he has let his muscle go to flab since he became governor. I have seen pictures. Yuk. When Stallone filmed the last Rocky movie, his opponent was a real champ boxer and admitted that Sly was really strong and intimidating. I would go with Sly.

Arnold Schwarzenegger! Do you remember the movie "Last Action Hero"??? The movie where a young boy magically joins Arnold's character in his action movie? The boy is sitting in his English class during a discussion on Hamlet, and he falls asleep. He's starts daydreaming of Arnold's character as a badass Hamlet. It was funny back when Arnold was relevant as an action star. It's pretty lame now, but I'm going with Schwarzenegger because I can visualize him with that damn skull in his hand.

Wow, creative question. Not exactly 3 obvious choices. I think Sly would be the best choice because Jean-Claude & Arnold don't really have the chops, or any chops in my opnion. Stallone is not a good actor, but I think he could remember the cues and lines with out karate chopping the Priest.

I think Stallone. He has a better range as an actor whereas the other two, while fun to watch, started acting just to do action characters.

Oh, none of them! Hamlet isn't an action hero; haven't you read his "to be or not to be" speech? He's a scared child trying to figure out what to do about his dead father, and couldn't be played by someone who oozes self-confidence like your potential choices.

Mel Gibson

Oh my god- these are the choices?? Actually, Sly Stallone is the best actor of the three. The other two-FORGET IT.

I visualize Hamlet looking like Van Damme, and probably most like him in every other way.. >: )

Impossible to answer, because all three are the embodiment of the young, witty intellectual who studied at Wittenberg.