Is God a God of Chance?

That is, as the scripture says, Pr 16:33 "The lot (dice) is cast into the lap, but its every decision is from the LORD.", the Bible seems to portray God as in control of the outcome of that which otherwise may appear as natural phenomena.

Do you view God as interacting with nature on this level, or that God isn't in control of the outcome of stochastic events?

Favorite Answer

God is ultimately in control of everything. I believe that there are things that He lets happen. It doesn't mean He couldn't stop them; it just means that he had a reason for letting them occur.

God interacts with nature in the exact proportion needed, not more, not less, to bring about His will.

Incidentally, I'm a bit rusty right now, so I can't pull verses off the top of my head that either support or refute this, but I would caution against taking a single verse and generalizing it to something as grand as all of nature.

EDIT:

Incidentally, for those not familiar with the meaning of stochastic:

1. Of, relating to, or characterized by conjecture; conjectural.

2. Statistics

a. Involving or containing a random variable or variables: stochastic calculus.

b. Involving chance or probability: a stochastic stimulation.

I think God has the power to control these things but leaves them to chance many times for the sake of giving us a lot of free will.

Dude, how long did it take you to find the word "stochastic"? And why did you think anyone on this site would even know what it means?

:)

~Neeva

I believe that God honours our free will, but if it is our free will to have Divine intervention, then that is when God plays a more active role.