What's the symptoms of athletes foot?

My 11 yr old son, who is disabled, has to wear splints on his feet 24hrs a day. But i've noticed that he has small blisters on the sole of his left foot, and has what looks like popped watery blisters, between his toes. He says it's very itchy, and won't let me touch it. I've never had athletes foot, which is what my mum thinks it is.

18 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

It does sound like athletes foot. It is easily treated. You can buy powder and creams for it. I would recommend using both. That should clear it up in a week or two.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

You have described the classic symptoms of athletes foot. That's caused by a fungus,and can easily be treated with OTC athletes foot medications. Available at all pharmacies and Wal Mart, look for the medication that contain "Miconizole" or "Tolnaftate" the generic brands work just as well,and are cheaper.They come available in creams,spray's and a powder spray,that may be better for your son,it will help with the sweaty feet problem.Follow directions on the box or ask the Pharmacist. You will need to remove the braces and clean them in some bleach water to kill the fungus there,also put his shoes & socks in the wash,using very hot water.This fungas loves warm and wet damp places,showers and shoes,between toes,and the groin are prime places for outbreaks. If medically posible,his feet should be allowed to be out of the splints several times a day for the feet to dry out and prevent further troubles like this,ask your MD.Take care. SW RNP

Source(s): MERK MANUAL 2006
  • 4 years ago

Have you ever had to cover up when you've been out at the swimming bathrooms due to unsightly eczema? Selected to use long sleeves so people will not notice the lines in your hands? Perhaps you have been kept up through the night by the humiliating and uneasy issue of eczema? Actually been scared to make love with the mild on because of condition from your get a handle on? All of this issues arrive at an end with Eczema Free Forever, https://tr.im/NevGt

With this specific eBook Eczema Free Forever you will discover out:  what's Eczema, the conventional and not common forms of eczema, the causes and signs and the appropriate food diet to produce your immunity system.

With Eczema Free Forever you will see extrinsic recommendations and techniques for individuals who suffer eczema, which can contain adding a moisturizer which helps incredibly in dried conditions and also the supplements that can help you in this battle.

• Erica
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Jock itch and athlete's foot are the same fungus (also related to Ringworm). I beat them in the JUNGLE (Belize) by listening to advice given me from a medic. Simply realize that fungus cannot live if it is kept moist by oil, any skin lotion or sunscreen will stop it dead in its tracks. Plants, including fungus, cannot get air through oil and suffocate. Give this thought, powders dry out the skin, which in turn cracks because of the dryness, which in turn provides the fungus a place to grow within the crack that the powders and moisture (from sweat) causes! This turns into a cycle that powders and sprays rely on for your money. So, get some hand lotion or sunscreen, and you'll be able to beat this handily! Good luck and keep your money.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Questions like this may be very hard to awnser without actually seeing the infected area. athletes foot is caused by a fungus that thrives in warm, moist environments. The places we go to improve our appearance — such as the gym. it is characterized by dryness, thickening, peeling, or cracking of the skin on the bottom and/or the sides of the foot. This does not sound like athletes foot. Depending on the length that your son has worn the splints he may very well have blisters from the constant friction and moisture. In this case:

-Swab blister area with rubbing alcohol and let air dry.

-Sterilize a needle for 10 seconds in a flame.

-Puncture the edge of the blister near the skin.

-Apply gentle pressure to squeeze out fluid.

-Do not remove or rub off the top of the blister.

-Apply antibiotic ointment, but avoid alcohol or iodine.

-Cover with sterile gauze or bandage

-Change the gauze or bandage daily.

If pus or redness develop, seek medical attention.

Here is an image of a blister

http://health.yahoo.com/topic/skinconditions/overv...

Source(s): Paramedic 8 years
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Athlete's foot causes scaling, flaking and itching of the affected skin. Blisters and cracked skin may also occur, leading to exposed raw tissue, pain, swelling and inflammation. The infection can be spread to other areas of the body, such as the armpits, knees, elbows, and the groin, and usually is called by a different name once it spreads (such as tinea cruris or jock itch for an infection of the skin and groin).

Athlete's foot can also be detected with the use of an Ultraviolet LED flashlight, under 395Nm illumination (the most common UV LED frequency) the fungal patches will flouresce with a reddish-orange color

Source(s): wikipedia
  • 1 decade ago

Athlete's foot is a term used to describe a form of fungus infection of the feet. The medical term for athlete's foot is tinea pedis.

Athlete's foot is a very common skin condition. Many people will develop it at least once in their lives. Athlete's foot occurs mostly among teenage and adult males. Athlete's foot is uncommon in women and children under the age of 12.

Athlete's foot should not be ignored--it can be easily treated, but it also can be very resistant to treatment.

Moisture, sweating and lack of proper ventilation of the feet present the perfect setting for the fungus of athlete's foot to grow.

Symptoms of Athlete's Foot?

Athlete's foot may affect different people in different ways. Some of the common symptoms of Athlete's foot are:

itching,

scaling,

peeling and cracking of the skin between the toes,

redness,

scaling ,

even blisters on the soles and along the sides of the feet.

Why does Athlete's Foot develop?

The fungi that causes athlete's foot grows in moist, damp places. Sweaty feet, not drying feet well after swimming, running, or bathing, tight shoes and socks, and a warm climate all contribute to the development of athlete's foot.

Toenail Infections?

Toenail infections can also accompany athlete's foot. Toenail infections can be very difficult to treat. Toenail infections result in scaling, crumbling and thickening of the nails and even nail loss.

How is Athlete's foot diagnosed?

Your dermatologist or doctor will examine your feet. This examination may include a scraping of the skin on your feet. The skin scales are then examined under a microscope or placed in special substances to look for growth of the fungus.

How is Athlete's foot treated?

If you have been diagnosed with athlete's foot, treatment should begin immediately. Your doctor will prescribe medication for you.

Can Athlete's Foot be prevented?

Yes. The best way to prevent athlete's foot is to:

Wash your feet every day

Dry your feet thoroughly, and keep them dry.

• Lydia
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

It's horribly itchy, really dry, and the skin starts coming off in bits. It's no fun, but I've only ever heard of it being between the toes. Over the counter meds work well - ask a pharmacist. His sounds different, however. Time for him to see the doctor!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I agree with your mum sounds like he has a really good infection going on!

You can buy creams over the counter, but if its really as bad as you say I would consult your Nurse at your surgery or your G.P.There could be an underlying factor that is causing the problem.

Good Luck.

• 3 years ago

Source(s): Stop Your Hyperhidrosis http://StopExcessiveSweating.teres.info/?vua9
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.