shadyshinobi asked in SportsBaseball · 1 decade ago

(Red Sox) If you had known Okajima would be this good, would you have supported moving Paps to the rotation?

Personally, I think it's a very close choice. On the one hand, Papelbon, Beckett, Dice-K, and Lester could become the greatest young core of pitching since the great Braves dynesty. On the other hand, there's something to be said for such late-inning stability.

Your thoughts?

• Ballzy
    Favorite Answer

This is pretty sweet the way it is. This way we shorten the game to 6-7 innings because Okie can shut down the 7th and 8th and Paps closes the 9th. Our middle relief scares me alot so this is the ideal situation.

• wdx2bb

I like having that overpowering reliever out there for the ninth inning. Papelbon seems to thrive on the pressure of such situations. It would have been a lot to ask for a guy just over from Japan to become the closer. Okajima has done a great job and really straightened out the bullpen, but I like the way they fit into those roles.

Now if Lester comes around, the Red Sox will be ready to step up to another level.

I personally think, being a sox fan that it was smart to keep Okajima in the bullpen especially after last year he's a good all around reliever he can be a good set up man or closer, anything, but to make an arguement i would put Paps in the rotation over Taverez

Nope paps is not a good starting pitcher he cannot go 6+ innings, but he will be the next greatest closer the way he looks

GO REDSOX

No.

Okhijima is a great set-up guy. Papelbon has been good this year, but not as dominant as he was last year. I'm fine with him in the closer role.

i would leave Paps because, who knows Okajima might not have done good if he was the closer

I like Okajima where he's at - he's a great set-up guy.

RED SOX SUCK!

Source(s): yankees fan =)